What's new

SVS 25-31 vs 20-39 (1 Viewer)

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I have a 25-31PCi on order. All this time waiting for it is making me reconsider the 20-39PCi and emailing SVS to see if I could switch my order.

For the $100 bucks, should I? This should be the last sub I need to buy for a long time and maybe I should cough up the extra dough. I know I'm kicking myself now for not buying Paradigm Studios to start and I'm still running Monitors.

What do you think? And if SVS is reading, could I change my order to upgrade to a 20-39 if decided?

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
16-46PCi is in purple, 20-39PCi is in red, and the 25-31PCi is in light blue.
Link Removed
im not the one to tell you how much the differences between the lines means in real world performance, but this has to help some...

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
robert, I was in a similar situation as you, after I looked at the graph on hte website (the one posted just above mine) and considering I am more music than HT, I went with the 25's then had SVS install a custom port and NO charge that brought it down to a 22Hz-31 and with communication with the guys at SVS I modified my amp to give a 3 dB bass boost at 20-23 Hz, as I measure it, it is totally flat to below 19 Hz, good luck. I am very very happy.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
If you are stuck with the 25, I'd have to say it won't be as bad as you think since freq's

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Thanks for the graph David. I didn't catch that one on the site. I am not an expert at reading specs and what not, but am I correct that the graph shows the 25-31 is capable of producing frequencies under 25hz? It is just at a lower db than the others tuned lower? Is that what is called roll-off? Would a small room help in this area?

The only bad thing about SVS is that I can't go audition both subs side by side and then decide. It's not really bad, but makes it a little harder for me.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Robert, yes, you got all of the terminology figured out. Good luck, you will love the SVS

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I have had a 25-31 and a 20-39 side by side. You made the right choice. The extra output advantage of the 25-31 in the heart of the bass octave was easy to demonstrate, and I thought the 20-39's advantage in extension to be very subtle even on very deep bassy material. The fact that you save 100 bucks is gravy.

Glen_L

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with Brian above--it was my 20-39 that I brought over to his place. I've since upgraded (is that an understatement) to a pair of 25-31CS+ subs.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Thanks for the input. I'll stay with the 25-31PCi.

Now to raise cash to upgrade to Paradigm studios and a projector.

Bob Saylor

Stunt Coordinator
In all fairness one should point out that hearing the low end differences would be a lot harder than the upper end. Some of those frequencies are felt more than they are heard.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
Rodney: what did you have to sacrifice accross the rest of the frequency response to get it tuned at 22hz?

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
David, that is a good Q, one of the SVS boys would have to chim in to give you that info

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Guys,
tuning a 25-31 to 22hz will lower the maximum output capability of the unit a dB or so >25hz...but you will gain another 1/6th octave or so of extension.
It's almost important to note...a 25-31 tuned to 25hz is going to extend to the 21-22hz range in most rooms(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks