SVS PCPlus 20-39 vs. Mirage OM200

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Shane Morales, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

I'm buying a set of Mirage speakers (OM series with OM7's). I really like the OM200 sub and would be perfectly happy with it.

However, being a noobie here I've just only heard about SVS subs. Haven't heard them, but just LOVE the way they look. Maybe a dumb reason to be interested in a sub, but there you have it.

So my question is how does the SVS 20-39 compare to the OM200? How about the 25-31?

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pcplus_20-39.htm

http://www.miragespeakers.com/produc...pecs/index.htm

2. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

I really like the New Omnisat speakers and the OM200 sub is a good performer. There is only one way to say this...there is noooo comparison between an SVS 20-39PC+ and the OM200. Now that SVS is on your radar screen...this is a non issue. All reviews on the OM200 sound like this:

3. Eric_Strickl

Eric_Strickl Stunt Coordinator

4. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

The SVS 20-39PC+ can be had for about $850.00. I would love to see that Revel against the PB2+...I think that may ruffle some Revel owners feathers!

5. Shane Morales

someone said about the Revel B15:

6. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I don't think it is possible to go wrong with an SVS. Besides the fact that the subs are awesome in and of themselves, I have not had a better experience from a customer service standpoint than with Ron and the SVS gang.

I've got a 20-39CS and couldn't be happier. I've never been able to come close to pushing it to its limits in my apartment. When I play the ship landing at the beginning of Episode 2, it feels like my entire apartment is going to collapse [​IMG] without the sub even breaking a sweat. [​IMG]

7. Robert Lovejoy

Robert Lovejoy Stunt Coordinator

I replaced an older Mirage sub with an SVS 20-39PC+. The difference was beyond mindboggling. The Mirage was boomy, having a peak around 45HZ, but response fell off quickly below 40 Hz. The SVS goes right down to 20Hz without a bump, resulting in clean crisp tight music bass and intense powerful movie bass (also tight, thank you!).

Perhaps the Revel B15 does better, but for the price SVS charges you get a wonderful bass experience. Make that astonishing. OK, both.

8. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

There is a Revel dealer in my town. I spent quite a bit of time with the B15 one day. It is everything Eric says - it's an awesome sub and very handsome.

It has a built in (but basic) parametric EQ and there is a software program you can use to optimize placement and response. The woof is monstrous and has a 32 mm linear one-way xMax and would probably give a Tumult a run for the money (but not better it).

It also costs $3,000 plus tax = $3,300. :b

For around $3,500, I'll take the B4-Plus, a Rane RE-17 parametric EQ, and a QSC RMX1850HD - and leave the B15 choking in the dust.

Or you could buy a PB2-Ultra and the Rane for about $2,500 and still spank the B15 and pocket almost a grand in the process.

Regards,

Ed

9. AhsanR

AhsanR Stunt Coordinator

WELL,

You can go the SVS route, which is an amazing route...

OR you go the DIY route and get a Tumult........ better yet dual tumults......

Lets just say, I garuntee you, you will never max out two tumults.[​IMG]

Tumults are about 500 bucks each.... and for the money, are amazing. Of course they aren't powered, so you will need an amplifier, and you need to build a box (not as hard as it sonuds). But once all the above requirements are met (not very hard to meet), you will never ever crave bass again....

With all respects to SVS owners.... a Tumult will destroy any PC+ and PC-Ultra....

The tumult is the best bang for your buck I can see.

10. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Ya hit the nail on the head Ed[​IMG] Shane, SVS has lived up to its name in many ways...Try one for 45 days..I bet ya keep it[​IMG]

11. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

12. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Man, I never get tired of that animation. One day I got bored and hooked up my computer to my main system just so I could here that on my CS Ultra.

In reference to all the subwoofer quotes, they're fun to read but if I see a review that's only subjective, I usually don't even read it. It's too hard to figure out what's BS and what's not. Especially when I basically see the same terms used for top notch subs and low end subs as well.

13. Shane Morales

Well, I just picked up all my Mirage speakers except the OM200 today (among other goodies). All that's left is to pick an SVS and order it. The 20-39PC+ seems dandy, but I can't help but think that I'd be just as happy with the 20-39PCi. I could really use the $300 difference in finishing up my HT.

The room is roughly 250 sq feet (2000 cubic feet). The fronts are Mirage OM7s. 95% of my listening will be at "sane levels". What do you think? Is the 20-39PCi a good match for the OM7's?

I suppose I could get one 20-39PCi now and if I want more bass I could get a second one at a later date...

14. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>Well, I just picked up all my Mirage speakers except the OM200 today (among other goodies). All that's left is to pick an SVS and order it. The 20-39PC+ seems dandy, but I can't help but think that I'd be just as happy with the 20-39PCi. I could really use the $300 difference in finishing up my HT.

The room is roughly 250 sq feet (2000 cubic feet). The fronts are Mirage OM7s. 95% of my listening will be at "sane levels". What do you think? Is the 20-39PCi a good match for the OM7's?

I suppose I could get one 20-39PCi now and if I want more bass I could get a second one at a later date...

15. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

Shane,I have heard the 20-39PC+...and it is a wonderful sub. Of course it's killer for HT applications, but what blew me away, is how accurate it sounded with music.Once you experience what this beast will deliver you will thank me!
    Another plus to running this sub in a smaller size room is that you can experiment with "port blocking" without fear of running out of SPL capability. GET THE 20-39PC+....down the road you will be happy you did.

16. Shane Morales

Hi Tom,

17. Shane Morales

Turns out that I won't have as much money for all my HT purchases as I originally thought and so I'll get the PCi sub. I'm pretty confident that I'll be happy with it.

18. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Shane..you will be man...don't have to worry about that part of your system for a while! [​IMG] Congrats!