20-39 PCI vs. 25-31 PC+...last decision...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Gene Evans, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Gene Evans

Gene Evans Auditioning

am in the process of upgrading my speakers for my Home Theater. Ya know, this all started out several days ago with a passing thought of "Hmmm...I'd like to get a better subwoofer..." (currently an Audiosource SW10) and "I bet I could do it for about $400." Yeah. Right. Sure. Read on...

Here's what I've done so far...

Putting my Inifinity Reference 2002.2 bookselfs from the front to the rear to replace the Infinity Minuettes currently lurking somewhere back there...I can hardly hear them...not sure I really want to anyway.

Just ordered (like, 10 min. ago...)Axiom M22Ti to replace the 2002.2's up front. It was between the Axiom (unheard, yet highly recommended by a rep. I spoke with at SVS) and Klipsch rf-15, which I heard yesterday compared to Paradigm Phantoms. The Klipsch buried the Phantoms overall. I am uneasy about buying main speakers unheard, but reviews at audioreview.com are make the axioms sound basically bullet proof...very strong in the midrange and high end...which is what I need. I didn't feel like I was getting punched in the kidneys quite as hard given their cheaper cost as this project spirals out of control.

Also bought the VP150 center to compliment the M22Ti...of course...replacing a JBL center speaker which I have always hated...which my ex-wife picked out years ago. Why did I listen to her. Why did I marry her? Ciao baby!

Now for the sub.

Is the 25-31 PC+ reeeeeeeeely worth the extra $175 over the 20-39 PCi? Room is 15X16, with an exposed half wall to the left leading to my kitchen, which is 13X16.

This will all be powered by my Yamaha RX-V795a receiver.

So you can see how this has snowballed completely out of control. Just give me your damn thoughts on the sub. okay?

Anyone tempting me with a snide..."Ya know, your reciever is nice...dont get me wrong...but have you listened to "X"? Ya might wanna give it a listen..." will be publicly flogged.

I am in hell.

2. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

Gene, my room is close to the same size as yours and has an opening similar as well. I ended up getting the 25-31PC+ over the PCi line. I talked with the guys at SVS and they were very helpful in my decision. There is a good thread on SVS going right now here. Read Tom Vodhanels post.

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Read the post by Tom V half way through the Thread. It is very informative and a good read.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=176765

If it were my decision to make I would go with the PLUS. To me it is worth it and $$ well spent. Headroom is a good thing even if you find it is not needed. With the opening you have it cant hurt. It's a little more comforting to know you have the ability to push a little harder, in my thinking anyway. Good-luck Gene.

EDIT> Richard I see we are on the same page after posting.

4. terence

terence Supporting Actor

I agree with Richard, and Steve. I will co-sign on the PC+ not to mention having doubts and what if I....... If you end up with the PCI. Like Steve's earliar post with the open room the x-tra headroom will come in handy due to SPL's leaking out to the kitchen. Also Steve has a open floor plan (3 25-31PC+'s)as well.

5. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Well - if you factor in one of those unblemished B-stocks of the PC+ - the $125 becomes even more marginal.

And this will help subside some upgraditis.

6. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

I have never seen a b-stock listed there. guess there gone by the time I check.

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

B stock generally goes very quick. As of the last few months it's been very hard to come across from my (looking for just the sake of looking).

T>CS+

8. terence

terence Supporting Actor

LMAO![​IMG] [​IMG] Yeah right Steve, if one pops up you will be all over it.

9. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Get the plus..then your all set[​IMG]

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

[​IMG] No way terence. All new speakers first and then the new sub in April. I have never seen a 25-31CS+ in B-stock. They just never get sent back or SVS holds on to them waiting for me to pick up another???? [​IMG]

11. Gene Evans

Gene Evans Auditioning

Almighty, this is PBR streetgang. The [25-31plus] package has been ordered. I repeat...the package has been ordered.
    Heaven help us all...[​IMG]

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Darn you Gene! There goes my sub that might have made it into B-stock![​IMG]

The package has been ordered< Great post!

13. Wyn

Wyn Auditioning

Have you checked "B" Stock? There are 4 on there right now including a 25-31+.

My bad there are a couple of "+" but not the 25-31+.

14. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

first time I have seen b stock there. to late for me anyway. I checked everyday for a while and never seen anything first time. I thought maybe it was my browser. lol

if I had seen the 39+ I prob would have bought it even though I wanted the smaller 31+.

15. Gene Evans

Gene Evans Auditioning

Just called them...switched from the 25-31+ to the 20-39+

Thanks for the heads up!

16. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Yeah I really doubt you'll need the extra output of the 25hz.. IMO it's better to go for the lower ported models.

Quite confusing with the number of svs models.. three main sizes of sub (single, double or quad) box subs then different driver types (ISD, Plus, Ultra) then the cylinders- (16,20,25hz) drivers (ISD, Plus, Ultra) then active or passive. Phew!

I think SVS need to sell their own amp, spotted HSU's own amp- SVS should design a 500W mono amp with the same features as the Bass Interface Box, and maybe with several bands of parametric EQ as well.

Perhaps in a few years I'll replace my active PC Plus with a Ultra type. Having a amp plus the BIB and a BFD is a bit of a chore.

17. Jim-L

Jim-L Auditioning

I have the 20-39 in a 18 x 28 room and it works very well. My plan was to start with one and then add an additional one when I had more $$$$ available. However, I have been surprised by how just one seems to handle my needs. Also, my wife would probably object to my purchasing an additional one since the current setup rattles the dishes in the kitchen!!

I think you will like the combo of the Axioms with the SVS. I have the Axiom 60's upfront, the 150 for the center, the Q8's on the side and the M2's in the rear.

18. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Hey Gene I bet that's my old 20-39 your getting, treat it nice!