What's new

How does the SVS 25-31CS+ compare to the 20-39CS+ (1 Viewer)

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
I want to venture into the world of SVS subs, and the 20-39CS+ looks awfully nice, but the sheer size of it seems a little overwhelming. According to Axiom audio, my towers are only going to be 37" tall, and to have my sub being taller then my towers just seems a little odd. I was looking one step down to the 25-31 which isn't as big (32" vs. 39"). How does this sub compare performance wise to the 20-39?

Ned

Supporting Actor
25-36: goes louder but not as low
20-39: goes lower but not as loud

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, can you give me some examples of a disc that goes really low in terms of bass? I know that the DTS-ES mix on the Haunting is considered by many to have some really low bass, but will I not enjoy the mix if I get the 25-31? I already have the Haunting DVD, but I'm holding off until I get my speakers to enjoy it. :)

Oh and I also see that the sub alone is $525 but for $925 you get the sub, an amp, and cables. If I only want to run 1 sub, do I really need the amp? Or will I be ok with just the sub for $500.

Chriss M

Second Unit
You definitely need an amp. THe CS+ line of subs are passive. Without the amp, you won't enjoy either of those 2 models, since they'll just sit there and do nothing :)

The PC+ line is basically the same but includes amplification built-in.

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, thanks, and to think I almost ordered something that would just be a nice paperweight. Looks like I'm going to get the PC+ line of subs. Now to decide on whether to get the 25-31PC or the 20-39. I only watch movies so which do you recommend?

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
The 25-31 is an extremely good sub. I own one of the original 25-31PC's and I love it. They've only gotten better since.

I debated for the longest time wondering if I'd miss some of the lows. But in the end I trusted that Ron and Tom just plain wouldn't sell a sub that didn't impress and dig deep. In the end I think I made the best choice. I've heard the 20-39's and they sound extremely similar. More alike than different. They add just a tiny bit of extra sub-sonic (for me at least) output but the 25-31 actually has more output in the audible spectrum.

If I were buying again I'd definitely go with one of the 25Hz tuned subs. The extra output, reduced cone excursion and higher rumble filter work together to ensure that you'll give out long before your amp or woofer does.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
or you can "compromise" and get the 25-31 but tuned to 22. I did that on my 25-31PCi, not quite a PC+ but more than enough sub for me, thank you very much SVS, Tom & Ron!

you get the "size" of the 25-31, but SVS will install a longer port, which has the effect of allowing the 25-31 to go flat to 22Hz (instead of 25Hz), but at the trade-off of 1 or 2 dB at higher frequencies. since I never listen at reference levels, that's fine by me. I would've liked a 16-46, which as the name suggests goes flat to 16Hz (but at the cost of still more dBs lost at higher frequencies), but WAF...

oh hang on, you're thinking of the PC+. that's got 3 ports, which you can tune yourself by either leaving all 3 open, or block 1 or 2 off, which lowers the tuning point at cost of dB.

sounds like the 25-31PC+ is the way to go for you. but send a mail direct to Tom to discuss your requirements and he'll give you a far sounder recommendation than anyone else on the HTF (with all due respect to other knowledgeable members here, but you can't really beat the designer/builder of SVS subs, can you?)

MarcVH

Second Unit
The other factors are how large your room is, and whether you prefer your bass loud and low. I faced a similar quandry, debating between a 25-31CS+ and a 20-39CS+, but I couldn't decide whether I wanted it really loud or really low. I eventually compromised on 2 20-39CS+ cylinders, which do both. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks