What's new

SVIDEO converter to COMPOSITE VIDEO adapter (1 Viewer)

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen both for sale and DIY plans for a "SVIDEO converter to COMPOSITE VIDEO adapter".
While I know that their will be some signal loss over the quality of a SVIDEO signal.
But the question is.. will the loss be greater than the same composite video signal from the same source?
I have a DirecTV receiver that only has a single composite video output and currently use a "Y" cable to split the signal between my VCR and TV.
Would I get a better signal between the devices if I purchased one of these converters and used the SVIDEO output of the DirecTV receiver TV and the composite to the VCR that I am currently getting with he "Y"?
David E. Carmichael

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
David:
Radio Shack sells a composite to S-video converter that will work either way. It will take the S-video out from the DirecTV receiver and convert it to composite with very little loss in picture quality. In fact, whether you will see a diffeence at all probably depends mostly on the size of your TV, and the quality of your TVs comb filter. I use one of these to do the opposite, convert the composite out to S-video so I can use my receiver to switch all my components. I think it works very well. It costs about $20. Try one, you can always take it back if you don't like the quality.
Monster Cable sells a similar converter that they charge $120 for. I don't think it's six times as good.
SMK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks