What's new

Convert Composite Video (a.k.a. RCA or "Regular" Video) to SVideo for only 5 Bucks! (1 Viewer)

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
This topic has come up alot lately. You know, running video thru your receiver to the TV, but not all the video gear is SVideo like your new DVD player $ PS2 console.
Up until yesterday I recommended a part that Radio Shack sells for $19.99. It is an adapter that has 2 females jacks, one SVideo and one RCA. This WAS the cheapest solution I had ever seen as high-end cable companies had adapters that would cost $100+ each.
This solution is not a video "quality" solution. Meaning it won't make regular composite "look" like SVideo quality, but what it does offer is mucho convenience, so that you can run all your video gear into your receiver and then run the monitor output, a single SVideo cable, to your TV.
Enough babble. I found this company's website while Google searching for cables for my new HT.
The website: www.national-tech.com
Part # 30S2-05400 is the SVideo to RCA adapter for $4.25
Part # RCA-MMG is a Male RCA Plug to Male RCA Plug adapter for $0.72
Put these two parts together, plug it into the RCA video output of your VHS VCR, run an SVideo cable to your receiver, and you're done.
I ordered a bunch and will post results when I hook up my HT in next couple weeks. Super Bowl Party!
Rich B.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Are you sure, Phil? Every inexpensive adapter like this I've seen will convert both ways.
For what it's worth, www.partsexpress.com has a similar adapter with an RCA male end, so you don't need the second adapter. It sells for $5.25 and does convert in both directions.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I use one of these on my VCR and run all S-Vid through the pre amp to the TV...makes switching easy and works like a charm. I think I got mine at radio shack for a couple of bucks.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
I'm using the PartsExpress s-video to composite converter for laserdisc playback and highly recommend it. I run s-video out of my CLD-D704 player to this adapter going into a Crystal Vision comb filter, which then converts the composite input to s-video out and I get a noticeably improved picture over running straight composite out of the CLD-D704 directly into the composite input on the Crystal Vision. Catalog #180-140, $5.25, for the female s-video jack to male RCA plug. Or catalog #180-141. also $5.25, for the s-video male plug to RCA female jack. This converter works much better than a similar converter with a short cable that I previously purchased for $20 or $25 and which degraded the picture too much to be of any use.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Just wanted to post an update. They arrived the other day and work just as I wanted: RCA > SVideo. Easy and cheap.

Rich B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks