Pictures of SCART adapter for the Xbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max Leung, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Here's a shot of the
    SCART pack and an SCART adapter.
    I'm confused about the SCART adapter...it looks like a composite video adapter...huh? Probably you attach the composite output of the xbox to the adapter, and then into the VGA monitor. Yeccch.
    However, the SCART pack looks ok...hopefully it doesn't convert component video to VGA, and instead uses native VGA output from the Xbox.
    Very strange...according to the news on http://www.xboxnet.net, there are 2 SCART cables:
    1) *XBOX Standard AV Cable plus, Scart, Multilingual, Microsoft 39.90 CHF (27€)
    This a scart that uses composite video.
    2) *XBOX Enhanced Scart Cable for Europe, Multilingual, Microsoft 49.90 CHF (34€)
    This a scart that uses SVideo.
    If you scroll down to the bottom, you'll see the picture of the "SCART video pak". There is a caption saying that there is a digital output at the bottom of the box.
    There is no information on how to get these cables posted on xboxnet that I can see. Ugh!

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Pardon my ignorance, but what is SCART?

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Ummm...sorry about the HUGE font. Not sure about the new HTF software.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Testing...

5. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Camp,

(Euro)SCART is a connector with 21 pins, and I believe is only used in Europe. Which is a shame, because it can carry composite, S-VHS and true RGB signals. Basically everything in Europe comes with a SCART socket. DVD players usually come with RBG capable sockets, which look nothing short of amazing.

Also, for consoles real RBG SCART cables improve the picture quality on a TV so much (and exist for basically every console), it nearly looks as good as VGA. You actually see single pixels, colors don't look washed out and are clearly separated.

What you will not find in Europe on display devices (with the exception of projectors) is component inputs.

I don't know how component fares vs. RGB-SCART in terms of image quality, as I have an imported 16:9 TV, using RGB-SCART for DVD and my DC (even though I have to switch cables, as only one of the three sockets on my TV allows RGB), and no component input.

Hope this helps,

-Christian

6. Michael St. Clair

RGB-SCART, which is interlaced and would not help out with VGA, is still something that Microsoft should get out there on the market....along with VGA support, and quick.

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You mean SCART has no provision for progressive/non-interlaced signals? No way!

Hmmm, I always thought SCART was pure VGA.

8. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens