What's new

Surround sound and townhouse, possible ? (1 Viewer)

DanielH

Auditioning
Planning to buy a townhouse sometime in the near future I wanted to know how possible it would be to havea home theater. I am going to get one that has a basement and I wanted to make that a dedicated theater, but I have been concerned with the sound issue. Does anyone know how easy it is to hear your neighbors in a townhouse, and how I can go about not making them listen to a surround sound set up ? Thanks in advance

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
DanielH,

Hey been there done that....

If you have good thick concrete walls the one thing they should hear, well actually you they should only feel BASS.

Hope this helps,
Ed

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Concrete walls in a townhouse? You must live in them there 'farner' parts or something. Townhomes where I live (D.C. Area) are made as cheaply as possible, which means you're lucky to have a 1" firewall between you and the neighbors.

I'm rather lucky in that there are two 1" firewalls between our townhomes. I routinely listen at reference levels and the neighbors haven't said anything yet, even though I know they can at the very least feel the bass.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Shane,

I think you misunderstood the question Daniel H stated he was going to put his theater in the basement.

There are so many diffrent types of what people call townhouses. but by definition a townhouse is actually half of a house meaning you usually have a basement(concrete foundation)a first floor and a second floor. Also they are usually in rows of three or more.

On another note all basements are made of concrete. If yours aren't good luck, hope you house doesn't fall down...LOL

signed
ED

DipakP

Auditioning
i had a full dedicated home theater (front crt projector, 7.1 surround, sub, etc.....) that i built in my townhouse. it was definitely do-able and we loved it.
we did not get any complaints form our neighbors so it worked out fine
if you have any other questions feel free to pm me
-d

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks