What's new

Help on hiding wires (1 Viewer)

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Im pretty new, so I apoligize if this is the wrong board. I just got my first real Home Theater for my new home. I have Tile floors and live in a 2 story townhouse. Im looking for a EASY and CHEAP way to hide some wires for my surround speakers. I plan on running one-side of the wire along the base boards and another along the ceiling. Is it possible to paint speaker wire? will it damage the sound? is there some sort of tape I could cover the wire with and then paint over. Are there any suggestions anyone could give. I really don't want to drill any holes.

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Go to a hardware store. They make special conduit for running wires along a wall. The counduit snaps close and has an adhesive backing. It is also paintable. It blends right in and you can barely notice that it's there.

I just finally got around to doing this last night and I must say it looks pretty good. I paid $4 for a 5 foot piece and you can buy corners etc for it.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Re: sound quality. They should be no different from any other 16 gauge speaker wires. They'll do just fine....unless you have super expensive equipment.

Re: Monster flats. I have had some of those and they're no where as flat as the ARs. That's why they're in the same price range. Otherwise, you can expect to pay premium :)
Also, they're not paintable like he wanted.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
sorry, I should have clarified. Mike!S stated that he wanted to hide these, so the profile would need to be very thin. The monsters would not qualify, even though they may be paintable. Although they are relatively thin, they would stick out like a sore thumb on the wall. The rubber coating adds quite a bit of weight, and would make it difficult to keep straight and flat against the wall. It might be doable, but I'm just going by Mike's specs.

Jeff B.

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same "tubes" Chris is talking about that I picked up at Home Depot. I would suggest going that route, as you can easily paint them any color. I didn't bother, they come in a very neutral creme or white. Once they are up most people don't even realize they are there. Very low key, just looks like part of the wood baseboard.

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Mike-

I bought "Wiremold" brand conduit from the local hardware store. I have issues where I can't really drill into my walls and run a wire down to hide it. I went this route, and as Jeff mentioned they come in cream and white.

Wiremold sells all kinds of conduit, but you can find the really narrow stuff and it's perfect for 1 set of speaker wires. Check it out here:
http://www.wiremold.com/www/consumer...mate/index.asp

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
I just re-did my HT room and used wires behind the baseboard, flat wire under the carpet and the plastic conduit.

What ChrisRuh mentions above works great and I recommend it highly as well. Even get the WAF seal of approval!

If you are looking for flat under the carpet wire, Radio Shack sells the same stuff as the Monster cable listed above for half the price.

As for the baseboards, depending on how handy you are you could remove them and run the wire behind them. I ran the sub cable behind the baseboard.

Dan_M

Agent
I've used the AR flat cable and like it a lot. I ran it under my carpet and behind the baseboard. It goes up the wall to each surround with staples in the center. After I painted the section running up the wall it's almost invisible if you look at it straight on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks