What's new

surround question (1 Viewer)

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I recently added another set of surround speakers to my 3200. I just paralled off the back of the reciever. Is this going to hurt my reciever? Should I wire them in series instead. The extra speakers I had are made by Rock Solid, does anyone have any info on these? I think they are 4ohm speakers. Thanks in advance
Earle

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Putting speakers in parallel can draw a lot more current from your receiver than is normally safe.
For 2 speakers in parallel (assuming they are 8 ohms each) the receiver will see:
Resistance = 1 / (1/R1) + (1/R2)
Resistance = 1 / (1/8) + (1/8)
Resistance = 1 / (2/8)
Resistance = 1 / (1/4)
Resistance = 4 ohms
Your System: Let's say you had 8 ohm speakers, and wired in some Rock Solid speakers that are 4 ohms. Your receiver will then see:
Resistance = 1 / (1/8) + (1/4)
Resistance = 1 / (3/8)
Resistance = 8/3
Resistance = 2.6 ohms
This will draw a lot of current causing your receiver to over-heat.
I think you are getting away with it because for most movies the rear speakers only see signals about 10-30% of the time.
I'd suggest re-wireing in series.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i understand how hooking up more than one set of speakers to the same terminals can damage an amp. i also (pretty much) understand that using 4-ohm speakers only makes the matter worse.
but, i don't understand the terminology of series vs parallel? could someone explain that to me? i'm just curious...
tia
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm not getting the parallel vs. series terminology here. can someone clarify? just curious...
confused.gif

------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
+ to + and - to - vs crossing + to -
The results will also vary depending on how you have the rears set. If you have them set to small, they will not draw as much current, as they are not working as hard.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on September 19, 2001 at 05:23 PM]

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
OK So if I want to wire in series: I go from the R rear + on the reciever to the + terminal on the speaker 1 from the - term to + term of the speaker 2 and then from the - term from speaker 2 back to the - receiver post?
Earle

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks