What's new
World Wide Stereo

Surround Install question regarding picture quality AFTER set-up? (1 Viewer)

mjrcpd

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Hey all,

Good and bad news after my home theater system was installed on Wednesday. The good.....sound is amazing. The bad.......my new JBL 12in sub does not power up directly out of the box, therefore, is being returned. Secondly, I'm able to watch my new television (Samsung 750 series) with the surround sound system on, OR while having the surround sound system OFF and only hearing the TV speakers. When watching television through the sound system, the HD picture is amazing, however, when watching the TV without the SS system, the picture quality is no where near as clear. I can say that prior to having the SS system installed, the TV was clear as a bell, and I'm certain the new hook-up has something to do with the problem. My components are: Denon receiver, Denon blu-ray, DirecTV satelite TV, and as said before, Samsung TV. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem? I didn't do the install and have a basic understanding of component set-up. Could it be I'm lacking an HDMI cord causing the lower quality signal when watching the TV alone?

Thank you for your assistance.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The installer probably routed all the HD connections through the receiver, and then used a lesser connection (composite probably) to also give you a picture with the sound system off. This is very standard. Or rather routing all the HD connections through the receiver is standard; the installer went an extra block by giving you the receiver-off connection (and this is usually done so you can use on-screen set-up). It's really expected that you'll have the receiver on for *all* TV watching. If you really want the ability to do both at full quality it will probably take some serious spliter and switch box work (how serious depends on how many outputs your source component have). I supose it's also possible to find a receiver that passes signals when off, but I've not heard of one.

mjrcpd

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
"how serious depends on how many outputs your source component have" What is referred to as my "source component?" My receiver?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
What is referred to as my "source component?" My receiver?
No, the piesces creating the image/sound; in your case the Denon blu-ray and DirecTV satelite TV. Or more specifically, do they have a second HDMI or component connection, and does that connection work when the primary HDMI is attached. (Some equipment shuts down all but one output.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks