Surround back speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by EdwinM, Sep 19, 2003.

1. EdwinM

EdwinM Extra

Would like to add a surround back speaker to my 5.1 system setup. Having problems deciding what to get. Should I get the same speaker that I am using as the Left and right surrounds. Or should I get a speaker like the front Centre channel one? I have a Sony DA 5ES.

Thanks.

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

It's always best to match the speakers if you can. So I would get the same speaker for sound and looks.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moved to speakers.

4. EdwinM

EdwinM Extra

Actually what I meant was: I have a setup with all speakers from the same company. Front L R Towers rated at 250watts with 2 8inch woofers and tweeters etc. Centre Channel speaker of same brand, and surrounds of same brand but they are smaller than the front towers. Centre channel at front is rated at 125watts with two 5 inch woofers and 1 tweeter at center of box. The surrounds at 100watts. with one 6inch woofer and one tweeter. I wanted to add a Rear surround(centre) speaker for a 6.1 setup, so should I get a speaker that is the same as the present surrounds...or should I get one like the front centre channel?

Thanks

5. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

I would say go the same as the present surrounds. The data being put to that center will be more simmilar to what is in your current surrounds than to what is coming out of your front center. Plus, this will give a smoother shift of sound traveling from Left to Right or visa versa in the rear.