What's new

Supernatural Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I love Supernatural.

I plan to check Ghost Whisperer out, how much like Medium is it? I like Medium a lot but if the shows are too similar, I'd just stick with Allison Du Bois

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I also like Medium alot... and watch/collect that show. Even though there are simularities... I also feel there is enough different about the 2 shows to keep my interest.

Where Medium is a psychic that helps to solve crimes... she can see and communicate with the dead... but she also gets visions and such.

In the case of Ghost Whisperer Melinda can only see/communicate with the dead... there is no solving of crimes... it is more about the deceased getting closure so he/she can move on. So Melinda has to help the ghosts communicate with their loved ones or help the deceased find out what happened to them... whatever it is that is stopping them from moving on. Though now there is a more on-going arc added to the show... as there is what seems to be an evil spirit that is trying to stop Melinda from helping the deceased.

As I said... I like both shows... and plan on getting all the DVD releases for them.

As for Supernatural... to get this back on topic :P (sorry to the OP!) Last night I finished the first disc... here are my thoughts so far...

First of all... the packaging. The cover-art is awesome but why oh why did they have to use a digipak with overlapping discs!?! I would have much preferred the double thinpak cases! I really hate overlapping discs!

Thankfully they gave us a play all function on the set. And another thing... this is the first time I ever seen this... and I think it is awesome! Every episode has a recap of previous episodes to remind you what is going on in the main storyline. Well... this set allows you to choose whether or not you want the recaps to play! Very cool feature!

Ok... I am going only by the first disc here... but looks like an awesome set for an awesome show! Other then the overlapping discs this set gets a near perfect score from me! I just hope (I am sure) that the rest of the set is done just as well as the first disc!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Watching the first three episodes, my reaction was, "I don't think I'll buy this on HD-DVD if/when it comes out." It looks great as it is.

It'd be interesting to hear reactions from people who bought this show blind.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Glad to hear you're enjoying the show Pete. It was my favorite show last year and I can't wait to dig back into it. I'll probably pick it up tonight.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
very small spoiler for season 2 that resident Buffy fans may like. Amber Benson is going to be appearing in season two as a possible recurring character.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Thanks for the info re: the Best Buy bonus disc!

I love this show but will unfortunately have to wait a while for it as unexpected things have come up. I can't wait to re-live the opening of "Skins". When "In a Gadda da Vida"
played, my jaw just about dropped open and I was officially in love with the show.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Jay, please post that in the Supernatural Season 2 thread in TV and HDTV. There isn't much to talk about right now, so we need info like that.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
With the season 2 dvd set just announced, I am ready to buy season 1 and had a question. I just looked at a scan of the back cover and it says this is "matted" widescreen. The TVonDVD site says it is anamorphic widescreen. Are these the same thing? I thought matted means it is not anamorphic.

Also, I assume season 2 will be the same way (whatever way season 1 is done)?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
S1 is anamorphic. The show was broadcast in widescreen (at least the high def feed was) so the DVD is presented in its correct aspect ratio.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that either Target, Best Buy or Circuit City is having a sale on Supernatural this week so check out some ads and you'll save some money. :)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks Travis.

So does this mean that "Matted" Widescreen is the same thing as Anamorphic?

I just bought a new Sony 1080p HDTV and now understand why everyone was so rabid about shows be sold in widescreen. Makes a big difference on my DVD player / TV setup. Watching a full frame TV show (like Buffy) is hard to do when I compare to what a well made Anamorphic Widescreen one.

But I digress.......

I am glad to hear that Supernatural should be good on my setup. I see season 1 is $30 at a couple of places. Wonder if it will go lower, or if I should be happy it is only $30?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Matted widescreen means that they matte the top and bottom off of the frame. Like I said though, they shot the show intending for the top and bottom to be matted off.

For what it's worth, I know I've seen the set for $20 but it may take months for another sale that is that low (or it may happen next week :) ).

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I wonder if the set will get a price reduction around the time that Season 2 comes out? You might want to wait until then. Although I liked the series and think it a bargain if you can pick it up for $19 (or whatever it was on sale at Target(?)).

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

No. "Matted" would mean 4x3 letterboxed. If Travis is correct and the discs are anamorphic, then then the "matted" description is in error, unless the show is at a narrower ratio than 16x9 (and I don't think it is) and thus there are narrow black bars at the top and bottom of the anamorphic frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks