What's new

Superman: The Animated Series - ????? (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
With the recent announcement of several more Batman animated episodes coming to DVD next year, it's got me wondering when we're going to see some DVD releases of Superman: The Animated Series. So far the only things that WHV has released pertaining to Superman in animated form has been a couple of Super Friends DVDs, a couple of Justice League DVDs, and the Batman/Superman: World's Finest movie. It seems like the WHV has more confidence in Batman than it does in Superman, yet if it weren't for Superman, there'd be no Batman.

I know that WHV is planning a no frills full-screen version of the first Superman: TAS telefilm "The Last Son of Krypton" for DVD release next year (boo hiss on the bare bones and full-screening! :thumbsdown: ), yet they'll put all sorts of extras on the Batman: TAS DVDs? When are we going to get some decent DVDs of Superman: TAS? Something doesn't give here.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Bill, the two new B:TAS releases for DVD are about as no-frills as it gets! Warner is taking four previous VHS releases from years ago, and dumping them onto two DVDs that will be sold separately.

Same with the two Batman Beyond releases that happen the same week (first week in March, IIRC).

Right now, from all outward appearances, none of these shows are getting the "Respect" you indicate is desired. Or that I had been given reason to believe would be coming.

Perhaps this is a last set of single-disc quick-buck dumps before switching to season sets for all of these series? We can only hope...

...but I won't hold my breath, either. The proof will be in the pudding.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
P.S. - Batman is vastly outselling Superman right now. Warner is simply following the money. I prefer Supes, too...but I know what the reality is for most fans. And the reality is the Bat.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I would love it if they would just get their act together on all these releases. I would give my left leg for season sets of Batman. I haven't ever watched any of the Superman, but if it's as good, I'd gladly pay for those too.

I think I will start holding my breath. Maybe the coma that results from no oxygen will end just about the time they release the boxsets.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Batman is outselling Superman in what... action figures??

Since Superman:TAS is not represented in the WB animation catalog, I don't see any competition.

I have been ready for a long time to replace my home-made Superman:TAS collection with a DVD set. For me, Batman can wait.

C

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am amazed that how on the ball Warner is with a lot of dvd releases. That they have so screwed up with Batman & Superman Animated.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Well, they used to think that the Batman and Supes animated series were strictly for the family demographic, but I think they have begun to open their eyes. The Bits said box sets were finally in the works, as did a Warner rep at the San Diego Comic Con....I'm hoping my patience will soon pay off.

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
Bill Williams: (boo hiss on the bare bones and full-screening!

Huh? Like the vast majority of television shows, Superman: The Animated Series's aspect ratio is 4:3. Fullscreen does not always mean "pan & scan." [I worry for the future, when "tilt & scan" is the big problem] You're probably thinking of Justice League, the new Dini-Timm series which is composed in 16:9.

I'm also waiting patiently for season box sets of this show. I have a feeling we won't see such a thing until the next movie comes out... synchronous marketing and all that. Also would love to see the Ruby-Spears Superman cartoon, too... but no one ever remembers that one.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
They should at least have the courtesy to give it to us in a new anamorphic widescreen format or even in a matted widescreen format, but we're not even getting that.

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
Bill Williams: They should at least have the courtesy to give it to us in a new anamorphic widescreen format or even in a matted widescreen format, but we're not even getting that.

But that would be a discourtesy. A widescreen-formatted Superman: TAS would be cropped; this is the same sin as a pan & scan DVD of Superman: The Movie.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Exactly, Matt.

That show was created to be seen in a "square-ish" 4x3 video aspect ratio.

Chopping off the top and bottom, where action takes place because it was meant to, would damage the integrity of the show's presentation.

Bill, I urge you to read the "Kung Fu" thread. Warner has taken that TV show and is chopping off the top and bottom of it to make it fake-widescreen on it's upcoming DVD release. I really hate that, and I don't want Warner to keep doing it. I want them to stop. Now.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
Matt Rexer wrote:
"Also would love to see the Ruby-Spears Superman cartoon, too... but no one ever remembers that one."

I was finally able to track down the last four episodes of that series earlier this year at a sci-fi con. The stories on that series were okay, but Michael Bell's voice on Lex Luthor didn't seem right. Loved the opening sequence and the Superman Family Album segments were cute. I'd definitely buy a DVD set of these.

Although it was the ultimate in cheese for Supes, I wonder if there's any shot of a DVD release of the old Filmation Superman and Superboy series.

De

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks