What's new

Directors Superheroes and Villains Draft! (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Erik is up with about three hours left on his turn.

On deck:

Jim
Cary (I have his pick)
Me

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm up.

I was much more into Marvel when I was reading comics But I can't pass up the Dark Knight so.................

Batman

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Cary takes Spider-Man.

I'll take:

The Silver Surfer

Angelo is up.

On deck:

Mike
John
Brad

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Juggernaut

Can I get a ruling on my earlier question? Are our picks confined to comic book characters, or can we select superheroes and villains from any source. Can I select Captain Caveman, for example?

Brad

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Are our picks confined to comic book characters, or can we select superheroes and villains from any source. Can I select Captain Caveman, for example?
I suppose superheroes like Captain Caveman would be alright. I just don't want to get too off track and start including characters from Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, etc.

Scott is up.

On deck:

Nick X 2
Scott
Brad

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
How are we handling alter-egos? If I take Jean Grey do I automatically get Phoenix / Dark Phoenix? If I chose Nightwing, does that automatically negate Robin from the 'talent pool'? Or are separate personalities/incarnations simply left apart, able to be chosen as individual characters?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'd say Jean Grey/Phoenix/Dark Phoenix counts as one character as they're all the same person. Same goes for Robin/Nightwing. Of course, you could pick for example, the Flash from Earth II OR the Barry Allen Flash (or both if you so desire). Well, wait, Barry Allen is dead. Argh! This could get complicated... :D

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
A little backstory on my pick:

Onslaught was created when Professor X, in a moment of foolish arrogance, wiped his nemesis Magneto's mind. In his anger, Xavier was vulnerable to a dark part a Magneto's psyche that transferred itself back across the telepathic link and hid inside of him. This dark aspect combined with all of Xavier's frustrations and emotions, his own dark side, and gained sentience and independence.

Unbeknownst even to Xavier himself, Onslaught began to engineer events world-wide, starting with the liquidation of a Sentinel processing plant and the complete mind-wiping of its staff. He then battled Juggernaut, knocking him clear across North America.

Onslaught was fascinated by Nate Grey, and through Xavier's encounter with the boy, learned to physically shift himself (and others) in and out of the astral plane physically. Sensing a threat in Blaquesmith, Onslaught blew up his ship in Baltimore Harbor, but for some reason didn't kill him.

Onslaught first tried to have Phoenix join him, hoping to use her experience with the Phoenix Force to learn how to gain more power. She declined, of course, and when she learned Onslaught's true identity from Juggernaut, she was so shaken that she could not formulate a course of action until it was too late.

Juggernaut had tried to escape Onslaught, seeking aid from Xavier, his step-brother. Onslaught nearly killed Juggernaut by ripping the Crimson Gem of Cyttorak out of his chest (a feat which should have been impossible, as the gem was mystically bonded to Juggernaut) and imprisoning him within it (again, an impossiblity except for a master sorcerer).

Onslaught then revealed himself to the X-Men, who also refused to join him. By this time it was obvious that Magneto's influence was also at work, as Onslaught's psi-armor was very similar to Magneto's costume, and he had control over electro-magnetism as well as telepathy.

Onslaught battled the X-Men and defeated them, leaving Phoenix to make the mysterious "X-Traitor" recording that would intrigue Bishop 100 years later.

The X-Men recovered, but Onslaught let loose a psionic blast that should have killed them all. Bishop, however, threw himself into the bolt's path and absorbed it, saving the X-Men and changing his past, our future.

Onslaught was still not completely in control of Xavier, and was exhausted by his efforts, so he left with Dark Beast, who had been posing as the real Beast, and who offered Onslaught minions to command.

His next target was Franklin Richards, whose reality-warping abilities would make Onslaught nearly a god. Onslaught defeated the Fantastic Four and some of the Avengers and made off with the boy, physically incorporating him into his own structure. He also captured Nate Grey, and with the three most powerful mutants on Earth under his control, created a citadel in Central Park, and unleashed a EM pulse that stopped New York cold.

Then Onslaught deployed the Sentinels he had captured from the plant months before, and the robots went on a rampage, but against humans, not mutants, until the heroes stopped them. The heroes gathered to fight Onslaught, and during the battle, Xavier was displayed to them, as Onslaught taunted them with his power.

At that point, Thor burst through Onslaught and physically removed Xavier from the villain. However, this did not slow Onslaught down; in fact, once he was no longer tethered to his original host, Onslaught became a being of pure psionic energy.

Tapping into Nate Grey's mind to learn how the Apocalypse of his time took over the world, Onslaught realized that neither men nor mutants were "worthy" to live on Earth, and so decided to obliterate them all. Using Franklin's awesome power, Onslaught created a second sun in the sky.

While Storm and Thor tried to minimize the climactic damage, the Hulk had Phoenix shut down his Banner persona, and became a raging beast intent on stopping Onslaught. The two fought, and the Hulk even broke Onslaught's armor, but it didn't matter. Onslaught had evolved into pure thought.

The heroes realized that matter was needed to contain Onslaught, so Thor flew into the torrent of psionic energy. When he proved insufficient, the rest of the non-mutant heroes joined him (mutant matter would only have fed Onslaught, who was a mutant himself), sacrificing their lives to defeat one of the most powerful beings ever.

For these reasons I choose with my first round pick:

Onslaught

So does this mean I now own the rights to Professor X? :D

Thanks to Cerebra's Files for the handy biography.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Now I feel kind of inferior by just naming the people I want to draft. For the first two rounds i'll pick 'Good' guys who were both childhood favorites:-

Wolverine

and

Frank Castle aka. The Punisher

I'll try to get 2 birds with one stone for the picture:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Back to me then? OK. (Nice pick with Wolverine.)

--
A brilliant but arrogant scientist, Victor Von Doom was disfigured when one of his early experiments went horribly awry. Now -- his scarred countenance masked by a metal faceplate, his body sheathed in nigh-impenetrable armor -- Dr. Doom rules the small European country of Latveria with an iron fist. Not content with one nation, his ultimate aspiration is world domination...and the destruction of the fabled Fantastic Four!

Group Affiliation: None
Base of Operations: Latveria
First Appearance: Fantastic Four (Vol. 1) #5 (1962)

Height: 6'2
Weight: 225 lbs.
Eye Color: Brown
Hair Color: Brown

Powers: Dr. Doom possesses the ability, though not-often-used, to switch minds with others. Also, he commands a small amount of mystical knowledge.

Weapons: In his armor, Dr. Doom can lift about 2 tons. One of the world's most brilliant scientists, he has amassed a seemingly endless arsenal of high-tech weaponry. At the very least, his armor incorporates a forcefield and concussion beams.

History:

Hardened by adversity, Victor Von Doom knows all too well what it is to be misunderstood and forsaken, hunted and despised. Orphaned at a young age, he was raised by gypsies in the small Balkan nation of Latveria -- constantly on the move, with no place to call home.

Anguished by his parents' passing, the young Doom vowed to make the entire world pay for his loss. Through years of intense study, the determined youth amassed a wealth of scientific and mystical knowledge. Even as Doom's obsession with power and vengeance grew, his academic pursuits and astounding reputation earned him a full scholarship to State University in America. There, the brilliant but arrogant Doom first encountered Reed Richards, similarly gifted but humble to a fault. Richards represented a substantial threat to Doom's self-perceived superiority, and the two became bitter rivals.

Ultimately, Doom was undone by his ego, which prevented him from adjusting the schematics to one of his early inventions: a trans-dimensional projection device. The machine worked perfectly...for two minutes, 37 seconds. Then, Doom experienced the end result of his pride: an explosion that injured his face.

Although Richards had pointed out his classmate's miscalculations prior to the mishap, Doom refused to acknowledge his own culpability. Instead, he blamed Richards for the accident. It was easier for Doom to believe his rival had sabotaged his work out of jealousy than admit to his own imperfection.

While convalescing, Doom discovered that the blast had left him with a long, thin scar. The vain Doom believed this slight injury had in fact totally disfigured his face. Expelled from college for his hazardous extra-dimensional experiment, he traveled the world swathed in bandages -- a kind of living mummy, searching for a miracle cure.

Eventually, Doom discovered a village of Tibetan monks, who crafted a suit of armor and metal mask to hide his perceived deformity. In his urgent desire to proceed with his plans of conquest and revenge, Doom donned his newly cast faceplate before it had completely cooled, permanently damaging his entire face. His scarred countenance so concealed and his body sheathed in the monk's nigh-impenetrable armor, Doom returned to Latveria. Overthrowing the standing government, he installed himself as absolute monarch.

Ruling with an iron fist and an equally strong will, Doom established a nation of peace and prosperity. As Latveria thrived under Doom's reign, the megalomaniacal dictator began to believe he could extend his success to Earth's other nations. Consequently, he began to redirect the small nation's resources to help him realize his designs of world domination. To Doom, the world's leaders are as nothing, inferiors to be cast aside in favor of his global vision.

Eventually, Doom's machinations brought him into conflict with Richards -- now well-known as Mr. Fantastic, leader of the Fantastic Four. Richards and his teammates have been Doom's most frequent opponents through the years. Now, Doom's dreams of world conquest are equaled only by his desire to destroy the Fantastic Four.

Despite countless attempts, Doom's defeats of Richards have been few and far between -- and never complete or lasting. Doom's belief in his own superiority frequently proves to be his undoing, as his overconfidence and hubris blind him to his own failings. He has, however, bested his bitter rival on at least one occasion, scoring a major psychological victory when he was called upon to save the life of Richards' wife Sue and their second child.

Conceived in an other-dimensional realm, the unborn child had begun emitting high-intensity waves of negative energy. The Human Torch knew his sister and the baby would die without help. With Richards detained by outside forces, Doom was his best and only hope. Johnny Storm pleaded with his greatest enemy to put aside their past differences so Invisible Woman and her child would have even the smallest chance for survival.

Seizing the opportunity, Doom saved both their lives through a combination of science and sorcery, inflating the armored autocrat's ego and sending his self-confidence soaring. Indebted to Doom, Sue agreed to let him name the child; he then placed Valeria under his royal protection. Now, every time Reed looks at his daughter and wife, he will remember that Doom saved them both when he could not.
--

Plus he's my alltime favorite comic book villain. :) I choose:

Dr. Doom

Thanks to the Marvel website for the character bio!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Re: Dr. Doom.

You suck. :p)

As far as Professor Xavier/Onslaught are concerned, I guess since Onslaught separated from the Professor, they could be considered different characters. Ay caramba!

This is going to be a challenge to come up with ten picks, at least for me - I haven't read comics regularly for a good ten years...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks