What's new

Superbowl Broadcast (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I know the Superbowl is being broadcast over the air in HDTV, but is anything special being done with the sound? Is it in 5.1? That would be neat if they could pull that off in a live broadcast.

Mike Slade

Second Unit
There are HD broadcasts that are 5.1. The CBS games are 5.1 and I believe the FOX ones are as well. I'm not sure about that because my local FOX is not HD yet but I think while watching the game last week I noticed it had a 5.1 logo at some point.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

They broadcast in 5.1, but the video is not really HD reference. It largely looks like vasoline is on the lenses and they use many SD cameras.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Maybe they will bring out the good cameras for the Superbowl. My Mitsu converts to 1080i. I'll see how that goes.

Bryan_O

Agent
Agreed Fox doesn't have the best picture quality HD football when compared to CBS & ESPN, but they do have the best 5.1 mix of any rest. They really give you the in the stadium feel. Last weeks NFC Championship game you could hear plenty of the Philly fans going nuts.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Well, I guess I have a new weekend project.

Maybe FOX will see the light and convert to 1080i like everybody else.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Pat, I realize that. But the other major networks are 1080i. It would be nice if the market could decide on one standard of HDTV broadcast so we don't have to pay for two formats.

Frank Kanyak

Stunt Coordinator
When are locals go full HDTV---CBS, NBC, PBS, will be (1080i), ABC(ESPN), FOX, are (720p). My projector scales both formats very well...
Our FOX is broadcasting low power HDTV until spring time when they go full throttle. I do agree that the picture is not as good as CBS or ABC football games. Remember that they are still in the infancy stage, it takes awhile to get used to the equipment.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I wonder whether the 720p image simply doesn't look as good because it's being converted by most sets (like my Mitsu).

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Aaron --

No, my Sony does 720P, it's their cameras. Football comes out looking soft. Up until the World Series, picture quality wasn't close to ESPN. World Series looked awesome. I think they have their "good" cameras that they break out for the big events.... Ha-Ha. Here we are, bitching because Fox HD doesn't look "good enough", while it still rules over 480i. Fox, dirty sons of bitches. :)

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I just said that Fox's HD didn't look as good either, I'm bitching too, it's not just you. ;)

Doug

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

I still have the evidence to prove you wrong. :D It looked like garbage. The ALCS looks even worse. It "features" herringbone patterns, a behind home plate cam that is SD, and a dirt cam of web cam definition. In addition to the poor quality, they had advertisements for My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss and Co. obliterating body parts of the players. If you want to see "awesome" picture quality, watch the games on INHD/ComcastHD during the baseball year.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Joseph --

I thought it looked awesome compared to their football broadcasts. In terms of the best baseball HD, I would agree that INHD's coverage is the best, clearest, and brightest. Follow it up with ESPN, then Fox. I love the INHD sports, I've even caught myself watching an ocassional basketball game.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks