What's new

The Dismal State of 4K Broadcast television (A Rant) (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So... for the second year in a row the Super Bowl will NOT be broadcast in 4k. Last year it was understandable as CBS doesn't record or broadcast ANYTHING in 4k. NBC, on the OTHER hand, has no excuse as they actualy DO air 4k sports.

...And by that I mean strictly Notre Dame football and the Olympics every two years.

Why is Notre Dame Football more important to give THAT a weekly 4k broadcast and not the NFL? It boggles the mind. But then you realize UHDTV/ATSC 3.0 is complete smoke and mirrors. A bad joke. Oh sure, the technological specs allow for 2160p but the networks are too damn lazy or too damn cheap to appreciate it. Its all upscale at this point with no real improvement. Satellite? Hope you like nothing but nature docs and pay-per-view. That's all DirecTV has. Dish won't even bother.

I honestly don't see UHDTV going anywhere at this point because its constantly being strangled in the crib by apathy. Complete shambles.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Ive found it funny all season during Sunday Night Football they keep touting the walmart 4k camera shots. If they arent broadcasting in 4k, whats the point?

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Is it possible that NBC has a finite amount of 4K equipment and it's all dedicated to the Olympics this year, which will be
running the weeks on either side of the Super Bowl?

And perhaps the Notre Dame games get 4K because they broadcast 6-7 games from the same location each season, whereas the NFL package changes locations every week.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I see by the map that my stations in Indianapolis have this now. In reading the facts of NextGen TV it says it automatically adjusts the volume.

"And it’s built with the Dolby Audio System for NEXTGEN TV, which intelligently enhances dialogue, maintains consistent volume as you change the channel and literally moves around you as you watch TV. "

Could this be why the stuff I record on my antenna has the volume constantly changing? Action scenes are toned down and you can barely hear them talk, then all of a sudden when the action is over it gets real loud because I turned up the volume. Other times you'll hear a Whoosh noise and the volume immediately changes. Before anyone comments it's my system I can tell you it's not. Streaming is fine, cable is fine, Blur-ray is fine. I can watch the same show on cable and it will be normal. I watch the exact same episode on the Broadcast channel and there are adjustments. It's just OTA I have this with. All automatic adjustments are turned off on the TV and the receiver, a Denon.

This would explain it as it has only been doing this for the last 6 months or so.

Sorry for the rant

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't get it as the Eagles against the Bucs is in 4K this afternoon.

That was Fox.
They have aired more 4K then all the others combined.
There’s a handful of college games on every week.

It’s nuts that almost all the tvs are 4K now but there is barely any network 4K broadcasts.

Oh I almost forgot the other major problem is hdr added onto these broadcasts.

This past College football season from Fox gave us a random airing from bad to great depending on what hdr button they pushed.
The other part of that is who your provider is.

Dtv seems To offer the most 4K networks including espn.
YTTV offers a good deal too.

Comcast only seems to offer Fox.

Then there are the apps from each network like Fox and what device you use to watch the app.

Roku offers hdr on Fox while the APPLEtv fox sports app does not.

It’s a mess.

Last edited:

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
The same thing happened with HDTV. My local sports teams didn't air HD broadcasts regularly until 2008. A full 10 years after the standard was introduced.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Exactly, we've all been through this before and should not expect a quick adoption of this new standard. It will take a decade or more, by which time we will all have 8K or 10K TVs.

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry if this is off topic for this thread but wanted to ask if anyone else watching the Winter Olympics on Comcast NBC 4K UHD broadcast is seeing their audio stream in Dolby Atmos. My AVR is the Denon X4700H.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Finally after the switch to ATSC 1.0 in 2009 most OTA stations in the Boston area are transmitting pretty good images. I believe it took PBS the longest, especially the import shows that would often be desaturated & filtered to cover up the defects. Good luck with ATSC 3.0 & 4K, it'll be another 10+ years before they get that right, ha, ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks