What's new

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1 Viewer)

MitsuruX

Grip
Real Name
MitsuruX
SMG2 is a beast of a game.. featuring some of the most well designed levels i have ever played (been playing games since the TI/994a).. the reveiws do not lie about the quality of this game.

Great times

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Well I'm at star 242, and while that level sucks, my statement about the green stars stands. Most of them I felt were just busy work, not that challenging, and I was bored going through them, and just forcing myself to do it so I could get the last level. The hardest one for me was Green Star #3 of the Shiverburn galaxy, where you had to keep your cloud suit and not use it through several areas.

Star 242 is going to be a pain, I can tell. Out of the 15 or so tries I did, I only got past the first section once. Then I died on the electric flip platform section.  

Originally Posted by Morgan Jolley

When you get to star 242, come back and say that again.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's the bitch of it. You just *never* know when will be the time you make it. You could get to the very last platform and be killed. The rest of the game had checkpoints even on daredevil comets, but that would be kind of cheap for the grandmaster level.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Well, I just beat it, total deaths for the game: 445; Total Play Time: 34h22m

I played the perfect run probably about 50 times total. I did it enough to learn the patterns such that I could always consistently get through sections 1-5 pretty much every time unless I made a bonehead move.

Here's some tips for the stages:

Section 1: Run forward, jump on Yoshi, and go to the edge of the first platform and wait for 5 seconds. This will put most everything in the position where you can just go through the level. The exception to this rule is when you first fly into the galaxy on your first life, the timing is different, since the level is progressing while you are flying. At the end of the section, after you grab the last flower and are flying towards the goalpost, use Z to dismount yoshi in midair and you'll land halfway up the pole. Then shake the remote as you are climbing, and you'll get sucked into the star without having to jump off the pole. This is the quickest way to avoid the bullet bills.

Section 3: Pretty easy, but at the end there is something you MUST do. You really need to exit this level with all three clouds still attached to you. This is how it's done: At the end of the level is a 'n' shaped section. Ride into this section facing left and crouching. As you pass under the cloud powerup, backflip through the powerup and create a cloud at the top of your flip. We'll call this cloud 'A'. As soon as you create this cloud, immediately do another backflip and create another cloud at the top of this flip. This should be high enough to make it over the electric barrier. Now quickly jump from this cloud, through the next cloud powerup, landing back on cloud 'A' which has passed through the barrier. From here do another quick jump to the exit star, and if everything went well, you should be exiting this section with 3 clouds.

Section 4: This is SOOOOO much easier if you have all three clouds, as I detailed before. Run forward to the first Blue flip platform and now do long jumps with clouds at the end of each jump. If you long jump off the last cloud you should be able to land on the dissapearing platforms after the 2nd electric thingy. One thing to note that is important, and very helpful, is that the electric things immediately deactivate as soon as you pass them. So don't worry about getting hit as you land, because it will shut off. The flip platforms should be red now. Keep them that way for the rest of the level. I.E. don't spin! Run forward to the next red platform, which will be in the radius of the 3rd electric thing. Take two short hops over the first two electric rings (standing still without moving forward), then jump forward over the 3rd ring, so you have momentum when you land and can run/jump past the generator before it starts it's next cycle. You can and should completely ignore the octopusses spitting fireballs at you. I never got hit by them. For the final generator run up to the first red platform, then hesitate a second, and then jump over the big gap landing on the second red platform near the generator. This should have you jumping over the first electric ring, and landing. Now to a straight up hop over the second ring, and a forward hop over the 3rd ring. Then run to the exit!

Section 5: This section isn't too hard, the one big tip is at the beginning, when you are hopping over the moving electric wires on the brown blocks, you can long jump over the second one, and from there you can grab the pull star, completely bypassing the last two electric barriers.

Section 6: Good luck, the only pointers I can give you are, you only have to kill the 3 boomerang bros, not the hammer guys, and you can duck the boomerangs. So if you hold z and walk around, the boomerangs will never touch you. Beware of hammers hitting the boomerang platform if you choose to blow by the hammer bros without killing them. Just keep moving! Even if it's just a crouch walk. If you stand still, a hammer WILL hit you and you WILL die!

Good luck!

OfficialIron

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard Bedford
I'm loving this game. Going for every comet coin, love the prankster comet stars, such fun little bonus levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks