What's new

Super Guru Question - Windows XP Help (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hi all.

Here I am again asking for a PC help. I think myself a pretty decent Guru, but the problem I have and the question I am gonna be asking definately falls beyond my realm of knowledge. If anyone can help, I would be very greatful. I will try to keep the long-windedness to a minimum.

To get to the jist, my Windows XP install on my desktop PC is majorly screwed up and only a format/reinstall is going to fix it. That in itself I have no trouble doing, but here is where the questions come in, but let me give some details.

My desktop, built by me, has 3 physical hard drives, and within each of those are many partitions to break things up for organization. One "drive" for storage, one for multimedia, one for Windows itself, and even 2 seperate ones for Program Files and another soley for Games (and so on.)

Now I know if I wipe the Windows Partition and reinstall it the computer will work, and the other drives will be seen, but the new copy of windows will basically have no knowledge of what is installed. Relinking shortcuts would help with SOME Programs, but for many that will not be enough, where I will be forced to reinstall the program so Windows basically knows it's there again.

While I said I have 2 partitions for Games and Program files alone, there are exceptions. Some apps that did not give me a choice are installed on the same partition as Windows. Stuff like Quicktime, other Multimedia apps, Microsoft stuff, etc. So I will be losing those too with the Windows Partition Wipe.

What I want to know is, is it possibly, maybe by backing up part of the registry could I "save" all those programs that have file types and extension and you know, the apps that really intergrate into the system saved somehow so after I install Windows and get everything back to Norm by importing some settings. I wouldn't expect to bring everything back to the way it was, but if it could at least save me SOME reinstalling, it would be great.

Is it possible?

Just a note, to originally fix the Windows problem I had, I made the mistake of trying to reinstall Windows over the existing copy. But my Windows XP had SP2, IE7, and everything current. MY Install disc is back from the original release of Windows XP and is way way before SP2, so reinstalling it did not go well. The computer hangs horribly during bootup at the "Windows is Starting Up" screen. IE7 wont work, I cant get 6, and I can't get SP2 to install, it just hangs forever during the install process.

So that is my situation. Help me get my computer back to Goodness!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You've already tried the only thing I could think of and that's to run the repair option in windows setup otherwise I know of no way to save program settings so my guess is you'll have to back up as much as you can and reformat, reinstall XP and then install the updates followed by your programs.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Adam,

After you re-install Windows (onto a newly formatted partition) you will have to re-install ALL applications. Including: A) Those that install themselves onto the Windows partition, B) Those that you install onto your Programs partition, and C) Games which are on their own partition.

Yes, this will take a long time. Yes, it is a pain in the ass. No, I don't know of any way around it. I wish I had better news for you.

Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks