What's new

Summer of Sam.....Any chance of a SE??? (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I consider this to be one of Spike Lee's most underrated films, though some would disagree. I would have thought by now they would have gotten around to re-releasing it with at least an anamorphic transfer and some extras. The current disc is quite old and although the soundtrack is pretty decent, the picture quality does no justice to the cinematography, which I feel was one of the films strongest assests.

Perhaps once his new film "Inside Man" is released either in theaters or DVD there is a chance.

The R2 UK edition has a commentary with Lee, behind the scenes featurette, scored photo gallery, as well as a 8 page booklet of a Q&A session with Lee in London, while the French R2 has a DTS track and a feature on Berkowitz. Both editions are anamorphic.

Any one else feel this could do with an upgrade?

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
The historical aspect of Summer of Sam would suggest at least an overview of the actual case file as an extra. I wouldn't think this would be too hard to do given the fascination society has with serial killers.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Di$ney has re-released so few of their early, 1997-1999, movie-only, non-anamorphic titles. He Got Game is another example.

If Di$ney can't look at its grosses and justify an anamorphic re-release of Armageddon--for a director as bullish about DVD as Michael Bay--I wouldn't hold my breath for a Spike Lee joint.

I'd focus on Di$ney's Blu-ray slate.

-p

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Also I believe some stuff was cut out to get the R rating but I'm assuming that Beuna Vista has no plans on unrated cuts?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
The cuts that were made had to do with the orgy scene at the club in order to secure an "R" rating instead of NC-17. Though it would be "interesting" to see what was cut, I doubt Buena Vista would reinsert them.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Frankly, I think SUMMER OF SAM is behind only MALCOLM X and DO THE RIGHT THING as one of the best movies Spike Lee ever made. I would like to see this get a better DVD release. Maybe even a Criterion edition.

KamyarB

Agent
I agree! I have been holding back on this title. Great film with great actors! I Hope it will come out again soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks