What's new

Summer 2003 is shaping up nicely... (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
With summer 2002 promising to be huge, the major studios are already priming 2003 "tentpole" releases. Here are the films that have so far staked out summer 2003 release dates (all dates are subject to change)...

May 2nd: "X-Men 2"

Memorial Day Weekend: "The Matrix Reloaded"

June: "The Hulk", "Batman: Year One"

Independence Day Weekend: "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines"

"Mad Max IV", "Mission: Impossible 3", and "Shrek II" are also rumored to be priming for 2003 summer launches.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty sad that all of those movies except one are sequels. That pretty much sums up the state of originalty in Hollywood.

That being said, I'm looking forward to some of those films, especially Batman.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, Hulk and Batman will hopefully be good. The rest don't do much for me but conjure images on The Mummy Returns...

Take care,

Chuck

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty sad that all of those movies except one are sequels. That pretty much sums up the state of originalty in Hollywood.
Nah, it just means we hear about sequels and franchises first. They often take longer to execute and the press gets wind of them first. I mean, you're talking about 2003 here; I wouldn't be totally surprised if the big sleeper hit for that summer hasn't even started pre-production yet.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Nah, it just means we hear about sequels and franchises first. They often take longer to execute and the press gets wind of them first. I mean, you're talking about 2003 here; I wouldn't be totally surprised if the big sleeper hit for that summer hasn't even started pre-production yet.
I understand that. I was making a general comment on how Hollywood has worked for the past 20 years or so. There are so many films that are made into sequels, I would just like to see more original films being made instead.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
There's also The Matrix 3 in November, and of course The Return Of The King. There might even be a third Harry Potter film, though it seems a bit much for Warner to do both Matrix sequels and Terminator 3 plus Harry Potter all in the same year.

-Tom

PhilipW

Second Unit
Original?
The only one that may be considered original would be the Hulk (no previous films) and how long has that been a comic book. Not much originality if you ask me.
I'm still looking forward to all of those movies though:D

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
There might even be a third Harry Potter film, though it seems a bit much for Warner to do both Matrix sequels and Terminator 3 plus Harry Potter all in the same year.
A bit much for Warner? Hell, they're probably cheering that they'll have five hits in a seven month period (Batman: Year One, Terminator 3, both Matrix sequels, and Harry Potter).

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
A bit much for Warner? Hell, they're probably cheering that they'll have five hits in a seven month period (Batman: Year One, Terminator 3, both Matrix sequels, and Harry Potter).

Actually, you can't have too many huge films in one year because they'll cut into each others' box office. There's also the question of paying for all of them at the same time.

-Tom

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Weren't we saying how great this year would be this time last year? And look what happened...

Anyway, next summer and the summer after should fare better.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Here are some movies I read coming supposidely in 2003
Meet the Fockers aka Meet the Parents 2
Dragon's Lair
Final Destination 2
Pitch Black 2
Finding Nemo-Pixar film
Charlie's Angeles 2
Fat Albert
Water Warriors-CGI film
Sweating Bullets-disney animated feature film
Wild Thornberry's movie

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Mad Max IV? Where did you hear about that? I thought Gibson said they were done with Max...

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Director George Miller has been talking about doing a fourth "Mad Max" film for a couple of years now. The movie will be done with or without Gibson's participation.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I agree though that part of this lean toward remakes, sequels, etc has to do with those being the "buzz" projects.

No one was talking about Moulin Rouge or Memento 2 years before hand, for example. Heck, I don't think Pearl Harbor had that long a ramp up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks