What's new

Sulamith Wulfing -- anybody else heard of her? (1 Viewer)

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
She's my favorite artist; she did "fantasy" paintings before the genre existed.

I was wondering if anybody else here has heard of her, and/or has any paintings of hers. I have two large-print (34"x24") copies -- The First Butterfly and Falling Leaf. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any company that is producing any large prints any more.

They're very beautiful, and some are downright haunting. I'm writing my own fantasy story (for my own gratification, not necessarily for publication) and actually found some of the paintings (I found a slew of thumbnails on the net a few years back) to match how I view some of my characters.

Your thoughts on her? Do you know anybody else who has a style close to hers?

I haven't heard of her but some of her work is reminiscient of some of the Symbolists such as (the later works of) Odilon Redon and Gustave Moreau.

Do a search of Redon's Woman with a Yellow Bodice or Profile and Flowers or Moreau's Hesiod and the Muse and you'll see what I mean.

Redon is my favorite famous painter that no one's ever heard of. His early stuff isn't very appealing but the works he did late in life are outstanding. I just wish I could afford his works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks