What's new

Suggestions for PC sound cards to enjoy CD-R/RWs on my HT? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
OK, I had to relate it to "home theater" somehow... :)
I just joined the 20th century, and got a CD burner. All of the sudden, I feel that my ES MD deck has become obsolete over night. (Sorry Keith!)
So, if I want to hook my PC up to my home theater (stereo) for lp, etc., recording, any suggestions for a PC sound card?
I think that I would want RCA's in and out, and digital in and out (coax or optical).
And, suggestions for places to buy one?
Last "and": should I even consider a standalone stereo equipment CD recorder?
(I do have a DAT deck too that I would keep, simply because DAT tapes can hold up to 2 hrs (safely).)
I suppose that also with this sound card, I could use SpectraPlus or that EFT software to more easily map freq response (for my sub) too, right? (Would need a mic input too, I suppose.)
THANKS!!
Happy Holidays!

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
First of all, Stereo is not "Home theater".

The questions you are asking do not belong in this forum. You are asking Computer questions.

Home Theater involves(at minimum) A wide-screen TV or Projector,a receiver(or seperates), and at least 5 speakers(Left, Right, Center, Left Surround, Right surround) Plus Suwoofer.

SO.............. You are in the wrong forum!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Get a life Jake. :)
I use my "home theater" 80% of the time for listening to 2 channel *stereo* media.
Go look at some of the other threads. One of the longer ones recently was "listening to lps on the cheap", and another quite long one was Keith and his Sony MDS-JA555ES *minidisc* woes.

Glen_L

Stunt Coordinator
You should definitely check out M-Audio's line of sound cards, specifically the Audiophile 24/96. You can buy it at Digital Connection for $159, and they are very knowledgeable and helpful with the products they sell.

JohanK

Second Unit
The M-Audio cards seem to be the hot picks for PC users w/ audiophile tendencies. Other prospects include the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and Philips Acoustic Edge which are less expensive products.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Jake

Attitude check, please. Kevin posted a fair question. I would encourage you to take another look at the Forum's posting guidelines.

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin another vote for Audiophile 24/96. It includes analog in/out (great for conversion of vinyl to CD... but if you will be recording at 24/96, make sure you have plenty - did I said PLENTY - of disk space); also, coax in/out. If I recall, you can get other cards with toslink in/out, but why bother.

Thankfully to M-audio I was able to find that Sony cannot accept 96/24 signal, but Denon 3300 can ... in direct or Stereo modes :).

_zjt

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Thanks all!!
I *knew* this was the place to ask that question...
Guess what I may now try to pick up at an "after Christmas" sale. :D

Sebastien David

Second Unit
man, and I thought I had a home theater, but apparently you need a wide screen TV! damn my 32inch JVC, damn you!
not everyone has the dough for widescreen. doesn't mean you can't piece together a home theater, does it?
please tell me it doesn!
:D
sorry, just being an ass...

BruceD

Screenwriter
Kevin,

I use ETF and it takes a preamp input (mic + mic-preamp, not just a mic) for it's test input. I assume SpectraPlus does also.

This means you need a calibrated mic and microphone preamp in the signal chain to the soundcard (RCA connectors).

BruceD

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Bruce- That's my next project, but I'm not there yet... :)
Another question, if I can get people to look:
Suggestions for good PC/CD-R/RW/.wav software editing?
I have the bare bones Easy CD Creator that came with my burner. Great so far, but it won't let me divide singular whole tracks, or change the sound "level" of a track.
I assume the full version would, but I'm interested in what others use too. (Any free or shareware suggestions?)

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
There is somewhere a good web site devoted to this topic only - do a few searches looking for vinyl to CD transfer. You will find gobs of info.
My set of tools - goldwave for serious work,
CD wave editor (www.cdwave.com) and NERO for burning.
So far, I do not clean pops or change dynamics of vinyl - just archive them.
Enjoy...
_zjt

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
Check out Feurio: Link Removed. It's an audio-only CD burning program that includes a wave editor. Shareware too. I don't use the wave editor, but I do burn a ton of audio cd's, and use feurio for that task exclusively. Great program, highly recommended.
Andrej

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks