What's new

Suggestions for HDMI / DVI Long distance (1 Viewer)

lockwood

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Some background:
All my A/V equipment is housed in a closet that requires approx 50feet of cable run to the TV.
I currently have and older Harman Kardon AVR that does not support HDMI.

I am using an Elan CVWP component video over cat 5 extender to get the component video from the receiver to the TV. This works awesome and have been very happy with it.

I am now upgrading to a new Harman Kardon AVR that supports HDMI.
My TV, and older Sony, does not have HDMI but does have an HDCP compliant DVI video in so I should be OK there.

So here is where I would like some suggestions:
How should I connect the receiver to the TV?
I was thinking of using an HDMI over cat 5 extender to go from the receiver to behind the TV and then use an HDMI to DVI cable to plug it into the TV. This was when I eventually upgrade my TV I will already have HDMI waiting behind it.

Assuming this sounds good, can anyone suggest a good HDMI over cat5 extender? Like I said I have been using the Elan CVWP component video over cat 5 with no problems and want something just as dependable. I also need to go about 50 feet.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Monoprice has one for about $50. It is only v1.2 compliant though. Do you still have access to run additional cables? If so, you can pick up a good quality 50ft HDMI cable for about $30 at a place like Firefold.

lockwood

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I have heard very bad reviews of both long HDMI cables and HDMI over cat 5. I am hoping someone has some first hand experience with HDMI over 50ft or more.

I am able to run new cables but do not want it to be ab experiment because doing it involves disassembling a built in cabinet and shelf. This is something I really need to get 100% correct the first time.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Check out this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/294808/please-help-with-reccomendation-for-50ft-hdmi-1-3-cable-for-panasonic-ae4000u-projector

I recommended firefold to this member and he seems to have had great results. I have bought from firefold many times, but have never bought more than a 10ft hdmi personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks