What's new

Suggestions for HDMI / DVI Long distance (1 Viewer)

lockwood

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Some background:
All my A/V equipment is housed in a closet that requires approx 50feet of cable run to the TV.
I currently have and older Harman Kardon AVR that does not support HDMI.

I am using an Elan CVWP component video over cat 5 extender to get the component video from the receiver to the TV. This works awesome and have been very happy with it.

I am now upgrading to a new Harman Kardon AVR that supports HDMI.
My TV, and older Sony, does not have HDMI but does have an HDCP compliant DVI video in so I should be OK there.

So here is where I would like some suggestions:
How should I connect the receiver to the TV?
I was thinking of using an HDMI over cat 5 extender to go from the receiver to behind the TV and then use an HDMI to DVI cable to plug it into the TV. This was when I eventually upgrade my TV I will already have HDMI waiting behind it.

Assuming this sounds good, can anyone suggest a good HDMI over cat5 extender? Like I said I have been using the Elan CVWP component video over cat 5 with no problems and want something just as dependable. I also need to go about 50 feet.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Monoprice has one for about $50. It is only v1.2 compliant though. Do you still have access to run additional cables? If so, you can pick up a good quality 50ft HDMI cable for about $30 at a place like Firefold.

lockwood

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I have heard very bad reviews of both long HDMI cables and HDMI over cat 5. I am hoping someone has some first hand experience with HDMI over 50ft or more.

I am able to run new cables but do not want it to be ab experiment because doing it involves disassembling a built in cabinet and shelf. This is something I really need to get 100% correct the first time.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Check out this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/294808/please-help-with-reccomendation-for-50ft-hdmi-1-3-cable-for-panasonic-ae4000u-projector

I recommended firefold to this member and he seems to have had great results. I have bought from firefold many times, but have never bought more than a 10ft hdmi personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks