What's new

Suggestions for a "cheap/decent" digital camera for taking DIY pic's? (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Looking for a CHEAP if possible, digital camera for taking just DIY pic's.

The one thing it "HAS to HAVE is a ~{Composite Video Out}~ along with what ever else for possible future real computer upgrade.

I know absoultly nothing about Digital cameras! This would strickly be for DIY pic's to put up on my soon to be, newbie web page.

I know just enough to get myself in big trouble when purchasing one. You know, Salesman says aha, this is what you need right here. And I bring home a piece of total crap or over spend on a piece of junk!

Anything suggested to look into would be very apreciated. Also, please don't get to hi-tech on me. Talk in laymans terms please! I don't now squat about computers and or digital cameras.

I am on MSN Webtv and absolutly ~{need the composite video out}~ ~ "in order to upload any pic's". Yes this sucks bad, but this is what I have to work with for now.
Any directions/ideas for cameras to look into would be of great help!!!!!

Budget, 100.00 give or take. Can I get anything worth it's peanuts for this????
Thanks
Geoff

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Not what you want to hear, but if you can double that budget the Olympus D520 is an excellent little digital camera.

I don't think there is much for decent camera's in the $100 price bracket unless you can find a used one.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Link Removed has a search feature that you might find helpful. Click "Buyer's Guide" then "Simple Search."
There are several cameras for $100 or less that will have a video out (including models from Polaroid, Vivitar, etc.). Any of these will meet your criteria. A 640x480 image will display on a web page just fine.
This is strictly in response to your question (i.e. cheap camera w/ video out). I don't know anything about the reliability of any of these.
The camera that Dustin suggested will be much better than anything under $100. I have a Fuji 2600 Zoom that I like, but it's more than what you would want to pay.
You really have to decide if DIY pics for web page use is the ONLY way that you will use this camera. If so, just about anything will work. If, however, it is in the realm of possibility that you could decide later to use the digital camera for other things, you will probably want to consider investing more into the purchase.
JKS

Jon Torres

Second Unit
You could also take a look at cnet Link Removed
Go to the budget cameras and you should find something in the ~$150 range maybe less. I'd say just stick w/ a reputable brand and you'll be okay.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks a bunch guys!

Yes that is all this camera would see...DIY shots for web page period.

I will look into all links and suggestions.

Again thanks
Geoff

Geoff,

First I personally would not buy a digital camera just to post DIY shots. That is just me though. I use my camera all the time. Ia m sure as long as you learn how to properly use the camera, you would use it for more too. I used to work at Target in electronics, and a vendor from Kodak would come in and talk to us about digital cameras every now and then. He said people would buy digital cameras to look cool, but still use there 35mm's to take pictures because they don't know how to work the camera, don't know how to download the images, or simply want hard copies of the pictures they take. Many places that develope film now let you bring in a memory card from digital camera's to print pictures. So as long as you can work the camera, digital is the way to go.
I have a canon digital Camera and I use it all the time. Much more than I would a regular camera. I never have to worry about wasting film. Plus I can take short video clips too.
If you are going to get a camera, I would recomend spending $300 to $400 dollars on one, or you will probably be getting something that is not very usefull to you. The brands I would recomend are Kodak and Canon. I went with a canon cause it is small enough that I can fit it in my pocket, but kodak's are also a very good camera.
Things to watch for when buying digital camera: look at optical zoom and not digital zoom. digital zoom is useless. All it does is degrade the picture quality. The quality of the picture is rated in megapixels, which is simply the resolution of the picture multiplied together (for examle a 1600X1400 picture would be 2.24 megapixels) a camera with 2.1 megapixles can give you an 8X10 picture the same quality as if taken by a 35mm camera. any camera around 2.0 megapixels will give you great quality for most peoples needs. anything lower than 2.0 and the quality starts to get questionable. One more thing to consider is that Kodak slighty underrates their cameras compared to others. Any more questions, feel free to email me.

regards,

Mike

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thank you Mike,
Allot of info their to help me understand some important basics that I new nothing about. Like the 2.4 2.0 pic quailty thing and the right type of zoom fuction to stay away from.
This stuff certainly will help me in thinking about how far I want to go camera wise.
Really don't see myself using it for nothing but up-loading pic's of DIY. Just not a camera guy in the past, but can see the other advantages of digital usage.
Sure can do allot with a good one and this is something I might want to consider as you pointed out.
Would be nice if I had a friend with a good digital camera to barrow and check out through actual usage ~ but no one that I know of has one at this time. :frowning:
Nope, not even a cheap one.....
Thanks Mike :emoji_thumbsup:
I might just have some questions for you as I continue to look into and at stuff.
========>
Anyone have links of places that carry digital cameras at good prices that they may have used to purchase one????
Or is it better to buy at BM, and can you return cameras that you don't like???
========>
Regards
Geoff

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
If a $200 digital camera is out of the question why not buy a $50-100 scanner to scan the photos from your 35mm prints and then upload to any e-mail or site.
Just an idea!

Wes

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I may be wrong but my understanding is with MSN webtv this approach dose not produce decent quailty pic's.
Where as the camera is plug it in select pic and load with much better quailty.

If I go manufacture refurb Im finding some pretty decent cameras on line. Dose any one recommend staying away from this, or is manufacture refurb with warrenty ok???

Olympus-D450 3x optical Zoom
This a good deal for a refur with warrenty?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'd second the scanner option instead of a cheap digital. I've used several mid to low end models and they all left me wanting for more..even for simple web graphics. You'd likely get much better quality from using a regular 35mm and scanning them in on a budget scanner then spending the same amount on a cheap digital camera.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have an Olympus D450Z, I think I paid over $375 for it 2-3 years ago. I made the INITIAL investment in a Smartmedia (USB) card reader ($30), and 2 sets of four AA NiMH rechargeable Maha batteries and charger ($45). Since I bought the digicam, I've taken over 7000 photos with the digicam.

It costs $7 to develop a roll of 36 exposure film. For 7000 shots, that's almost 200 rolls of film, around $1350 just to develop the film, plus the time to scan in the photos (I've scanned in hundreds of film photos, and it no fun). And then add in the cost of batteries and film (another $100). I have easily come out ahead with my digital camera purchase. Plus, there are quite a number a good deal in the $250-$350 range now that offer better optical zoom and megapixel capabilities.

As the nutty DIY documentation nut, I'm very grateful for my digital camera, more than words can ever express.

I'd probably buy the Olympus D510/520 digicam if I were buying one today.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thank for the replys guys.

Ok after some questions to a Web-tv user friend of mine (who knows far more than I about Web-tv) I can't scan and then up-load...!

I can scan anything on the net, BUT can not up-load it!

The "Only way for me" to put pic's up is with a digital camera, cam corder-VHS or digital.

Im researching refurbs and used digital cameras. There are deals to be had though allot of this is confusing. Mike did help allot with his basic info and I have been reading other stuff I've found on the net. Just need to figure out how far I want or need to go camera wise......

Your suggestions and experiences have been helful and I thank you guys!!!

Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks