What's new

Suggestion for Scifi channel.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Instead of producing those crappy monster of the week movies(ie-Python IV:Python goes to Hell). Why don't you get the rights to do wrap-up movies to shows that ended without ones. For example Now & Agan, John Doe, Space:Above & Beyond, etc.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I imagine that the whole "it costs money and we likely wouldn't own the material unless it's a Universal property" thing is a big deterrent.

Besides, I'm not sure how many of those monster-of-the-week movies they actually produce; most are direct-to-video things that they acquire the broadcast rights for.

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator
That is a great idea, Todd! I would LOVE to see a conclusion to John Doe! That show was the best, it became one of my favorites after just a couple episodes. It always seems like the shows I really want to be renewed, never are. But that is not quite on topic, (or is it?), so I'll save that rant for another time....

Anyway, I still think the SciFi Channel should pick up John Doe and let it go for a couple (or maybe 5 or 6!) more years. (I even wrote to them asking them to do so when I found out John Doe had been cancelled...) But, I guess it's been too long for anything like that to ever happen. I would still love to see a wrap-up movie made, though!

LizH

Second Unit
Bonnie Hammer is on record as saying that she wants to move AWAY from Sci-Fi. :rolleyes:

If she doesn't want to show Sci-Fi, why call the network "The SCI-FI Channel"? :confused: It would be like airing basketball on The Food Network!

It makes no sense.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Valerie, Not to get to off topic. But, the producers of Doe were really screwed by Fox. They were going to reveal more info at the end. But, Fox told them they were going to be renewed and they should hold some things back. :angry:

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator

Wow, I guess I never realized this. I knew Fox told them they were being renewed, but I didn't know the producers wanted to reveal more and Fox told them not to. This just confirms, once again, my very bad feelings towards Fox. I won't watch any of their shows, and even if one looks good, I won't watch it because of their habit of pulling them...... I still miss John Doe!

(Sorry to be off topic, it won't happen again. I just wanted to comment on this.)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
How about some decent programming. I still dont think the station has lived up to it's name and with no Farscape there is nothing decent to watch on a regular basis.

If Bonnie Dearest wants to move away from Sci Fi then change the name of the channel!
Rediculous!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just reviving this thread. For one reason..Battlestar Galactica. Scifi/BBC are spending some serious coin on this show and have big names. So their is really no reason that Scifi can't make closure movies for shows such as John Doe, Now & Again, Sliders,etc. Besides the money they can make from tv airings. They can release the show on dvd and make even more.
Will it be blockbuster money?? Probably not. But, it could be enough to make it worth while. Besides it might bring in more fans to old shows they air.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It's just nice to see them replacing the monster-of-the-week crap with more Galactica and Dr. Who-type material.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Once again... NBC Universal doesn't own John Doe or Now & Again, so they'd essentially be spending money to make a profit for Fox. And Sci-Fi is spending money on Galactica, but they've been ramping the money they spend up incrementally (4-hour mini, 13-episode first season, 20-episode second...); they're being more cautious than they appear.

There are very few series where it makes sense for Sci-Fi to do a wrap-up. Sliders, maybe, but does anyone have much faith in what they'd come up with? I doubt anyone would clamor for the cast that was left after season 5 to come back, and figuring out a way to bring back Jerry O'Connell, Sabrina Lloyd, and John-Rhys Davies would be both expensive and make for a convoluted script.

I suppose if Surface doesn't get a second-season order, they might be tempted to make a finale movie/mini-series. But, really, it would have to be a Universal project to be worth it at all.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, the Sci-Fi channel does have one of my favorite shows Ghost Hunters on Wednesday nights and they also play a few good ghost movies as well, so they serve SOME purpose.

Still, my Saturday mornings are a little less fulfilling since they dropped the reruns of MST3k, one of my favorite shows of all time. :frowning:

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
What happened to that show Scare Tactics? I loved that show & then it disappeared.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
It'd be nice to get a conclusion, but it's never going to happen.

Actors are locked into other contracts and likely won't want to go back to something that was a failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks