What's new

Need help on selecting new HDTV (1 Viewer)

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I hate to ask this but I need help with selecting a new HDTV. I've done a bit of searching but it's come down to needing some reviews and what not from everyone on what they like and don't like about their TV's.

I currently have an old JVC CRT 32" TV. We will be redecorating the living room and want something that is thin and could be hung on the wall if needed.

Here's our viewing habits:
1. We watch TV about 90% and Movies about 10%. (I personally watch a lot of the SCIFI channel, TLC and Discovery and my wife watches Discovery Health) The TV is sometimes on for 12+ hours in a day.
2. There will be no gaming console connected to it. The kids will get the 32" for their PS2.
3. Audio is not a big factor because I already have Klipsch and SVS.
4. The room is very bright during the day and reflections are strong.
5. The viewing distance is 7ft straight on. Viewing angle won't be to extreme at the sides.
6. I will be purchasing an upconverting DVD player.
7. I'll be using the Dish Network HDTV receiver/DVR. Not sure what kind of connection it uses yet.

Budget: $2000.00 - $2500.00
Screen size: 42" - 50"

We'd like to be able to mount it on the wall (or at least be somewhat thin) to give us the sense of having more space in the living room. Plus just having a 50" mounted on the wall would have a nice "Wow" factor to it.

So...I think Plasma is out just because of the possible burn-in problem with station bugs and the fact that the TV can be on for long periods of time. But I'm really smitten with the 42" Panny Plasma. I just fear that we'd be replacing it in 3 - 4 years. This leaves LCD, DLP and LCoS as possibles.

All ideas and suggestions are welcome. I know I'll have to go to a store and compare eventually. I just want to be ready and armed with some knowledge of what to look for.

Thanks!

Shawn

:)

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I've done a lot of reading regarding Plasma TV's and it seems that the whole "burn in" problem is slightly over exaggerated. Plus 30k - 40k is the average life span not the 10k - 20k that some people on the net are stating. And definitely under the 50k that most manufacturers show.

Also, they are not as dim as some other TV's out there (like my JVC 32") when they reach that age. At 30k hours it would still look better than my JVC.

So, I've narrowed it down to these plasma's:

1. Hitachi - 42HDS52 - 42"
2. Zenith - Z50PX2D - 50" (and $200.00 over my budget)
3. Panasonic - TH42PX50U - 42"

At 50" the Zenith (on paper) looks to be the best bang for the buck. And the Zenith is an LG which is a Zenith.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks