The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan on SciFi July 18

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jason_Els, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Hard to tell if this is just hype but it seems that SciFi channel really went to town on M. Night Shyamalan. Last fall Shyamalan agreed to giving SciFi's documentary crew "unlimited access" to the production of his new movie, The Village. As you might imagine, the documentarians, Nathaniel Kahn and Callum Greene (producer of Lost in Translation) took advantage of that "unlimited access" and went off the reservation. Shyamalan quit on-screen and the documentarians started interviewing friends of Shyamalan who weren't on the suggested contact list. Shyamalan claims the documentary was supposed to be about making The Village but quickly became about him.

SciFi is allegedly now blackmailing Shyamalan. As reported by AP, David Westover, spokesperson for SciFi, said:

The kicker, of course, is that Callum Greene and Shyamalan have the same agent and why on earth would ScFi want to build animosity with one of the leading science fiction/fantasy directors in Hollywood?

I'm kind of skeptical about the whole thing. This may just be a publicity stunt to help promote The Village, but I think it's in poor taste if it is. It probably just shows Shyamalan being demanding or short-tempered. He does have a reputation of being exacting but then artists are generally a demanding bunch and tempers can flare easily.

Anyone hear anything about this?

2. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Hard to tell if this is just hype but it seems that SciFi channel really went to town on M. Night Shyamalan. Last fall Shyamalan agreed to giving SciFi's documentary crew "unlimited access" to the production of his new movie, The Village. As you might imagine, the documentarians, Nathaniel Kahn and Callum Greene (producer of Lost in Translation) took advantage of that "unlimited access" and went off the reservation. Shyamalan quit on-screen and the documentarians started interviewing friends of Shyamalan who weren't on the suggested contact list. Shyamalan claims the documentary was supposed to be about making The Village but quickly became about him.

SciFi is allegedly now blackmailing Shyamalan. As reported by AP, David Westover, spokesperson for SciFi, said:

The kicker, of course, is that Callum Greene and Shyamalan have the same agent and why on earth would ScFi want to build animosity with one of the leading science fiction/fantasy directors in Hollywood?

I'm kind of skeptical about the whole thing. This may just be a publicity stunt to help promote The Village, but I think it's in poor taste if it is. It probably just shows Shyamalan being demanding or short-tempered. He does have a reputation of being exacting but then artists are generally a demanding bunch and tempers can flare easily.

Anyone hear anything about this?

3. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

It's the first I've heard of what is almost certainly a publicity stunt (and a mighty lame one at that).

4. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

It's the first I've heard of what is almost certainly a publicity stunt (and a mighty lame one at that).

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

I think it must be more than that, since they were authorized to document the production of the film and I'm sure he might have had a few "episodes" during the production that they'd have been right to film anyway.

It sounds to me like they were digging more into his personal life and his past, talking with non-film-related friends and acquaintances, rather than focusing on his creative process and how he writes/shoots a film, which is apparently the way it started out. Seems like they went from making "MNS: the Filmmaker" to "MNS: the Person" and he didn't agree to that.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

I think it must be more than that, since they were authorized to document the production of the film and I'm sure he might have had a few "episodes" during the production that they'd have been right to film anyway.

It sounds to me like they were digging more into his personal life and his past, talking with non-film-related friends and acquaintances, rather than focusing on his creative process and how he writes/shoots a film, which is apparently the way it started out. Seems like they went from making "MNS: the Filmmaker" to "MNS: the Person" and he didn't agree to that.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

BINGO!

i'm not even gonna watch it....

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

BINGO!

i'm not even gonna watch it....

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    why wouldnt you watch it?

isnt it a good idea to generate publicity for an up-coming project?

plus it might be good/fun to watch.

as much as i loathe blair witch i think the extra "real" doc was very good.

much more interesting then the movie.

10. James T

James T Screenwriter

I heard about this and the "unlimited access". They were just given the OK to be around certain scenes as Shyamalan didn't want to give too much away to anyone. So I could understand if M. Night was a little peeved off with their extra snooping.

11. BridgetJZ

BridgetJZ Second Unit

I'm sorry but if a buch of people were sticking their noses where they didn't belong, I'd get really upset too.

I don't see how this is a publicity stunt at all --

I'll be seeing The Village regardless -- i doubt i'll see the sci fi doc though.

12. BridgetJZ

BridgetJZ Second Unit

I'm sorry but if a buch of people were sticking their noses where they didn't belong, I'd get really upset too.

I don't see how this is a publicity stunt at all --

I'll be seeing The Village regardless -- i doubt i'll see the sci fi doc though.