Suggested receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Edwin G, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Edwin G

Edwin G Auditioning

For the past half year I have been suffering at the hands of my old receiver due to its age (from 1995). Currently my room has a PC which is the center of everything. Since my old receiver does not have any digital in sound wise my pc is hooked up via a headphones to composite connector out of the center speaker on the sound card (Audigy 2) resulting in horrible sounds. I have finally decided to update the receiver for something from this millennium. My current setup is as follow:

My room:
    Kenwood KR-V5570 receiver
    Front speakers: Sony 6 1/2" 2- Way Speaker System SS-U3033
    Center speaker: Sony SS-CN30
    Rear speakers: SS-SR30
    Sub: Sony SA-WN20
    Sound card: Creative Audigy 2

The speakers are fine since this setup is not really made for an audiophile. It is mainly used as a switchbox for my PC/PS2/Xbox/Satellite box. I have been doing my research for the past week and have read the forums a lot so I have an understanding of what I need (digital audio in, and A/V switching). Any suggestions from the community with more experience are appreciated. Now to move on to the real challenge, the living room.

Receiver - Kenwood 1070VR
    Front L/R speakers - Panasonic CS-99A speakers from 1972
    Center - Venture V52CLR
    Rear speakers - B.I.C. A-1 adatto (POS)
    No sub.
    Using a modified Xbox as a HTPC running Xbox Media Center (A god send)

This is the part where I need the most help. Not only do I need a recommendation for a receiver, but for an entire set of speakers. The TV is fine (some Sony badass TV which I can’t find the manual to provide a model number), and like mentioned above the Xbox doubles as a MP3/DVD/CD player. Again thanks for any advice and suggestions. The newbies primer guide in one of the other forums is what has helped me the most so I have confidence that the community can provide excellent advise.

I would post pictures of the speakers I mentioned above (the Panasonics from 1972 but I am not allowed to).

2. Chun Lam

Chun Lam Agent

How much are you looking to spend on a speaker and receiver package?

3. Edwin G

Edwin G Auditioning

I am setting my budget at $900 at most. Ideally I would prefer to keep it as low as possible. Receiver wise I just stumbled on the HK AVR 230 and it seems like a solid buy. eBay has them for less than $300 so I am happy about that since whatever receiver I get I will need 2 of them (one for my room and one for my living room). I'm going to start research on speakers tomorrow as for my living room I will need a new full set.