What's new

Suggested receiver (1 Viewer)

Edwin G

Auditioning
For the past half year I have been suffering at the hands of my old receiver due to its age (from 1995). Currently my room has a PC which is the center of everything. Since my old receiver does not have any digital in sound wise my pc is hooked up via a headphones to composite connector out of the center speaker on the sound card (Audigy 2) resulting in horrible sounds. I have finally decided to update the receiver for something from this millennium. My current setup is as follow:

My room:
Kenwood KR-V5570 receiver
Front speakers: Sony 6 1/2" 2- Way Speaker System SS-U3033
Center speaker: Sony SS-CN30
Rear speakers: SS-SR30
Sub: Sony SA-WN20
Sound card: Creative Audigy 2

The speakers are fine since this setup is not really made for an audiophile. It is mainly used as a switchbox for my PC/PS2/Xbox/Satellite box. I have been doing my research for the past week and have read the forums a lot so I have an understanding of what I need (digital audio in, and A/V switching). Any suggestions from the community with more experience are appreciated. Now to move on to the real challenge, the living room.

Receiver - Kenwood 1070VR
Front L/R speakers - Panasonic CS-99A speakers from 1972
Center - Venture V52CLR
Rear speakers - B.I.C. A-1 adatto (POS)
No sub.
Using a modified Xbox as a HTPC running Xbox Media Center (A god send)

This is the part where I need the most help. Not only do I need a recommendation for a receiver, but for an entire set of speakers. The TV is fine (some Sony badass TV which I can’t find the manual to provide a model number), and like mentioned above the Xbox doubles as a MP3/DVD/CD player. Again thanks for any advice and suggestions. The newbies primer guide in one of the other forums is what has helped me the most so I have confidence that the community can provide excellent advise.

I would post pictures of the speakers I mentioned above (the Panasonics from 1972 but I am not allowed to).

Edwin G

Auditioning
I am setting my budget at $900 at most. Ideally I would prefer to keep it as low as possible. Receiver wise I just stumbled on the HK AVR 230 and it seems like a solid buy. eBay has them for less than $300 so I am happy about that since whatever receiver I get I will need 2 of them (one for my room and one for my living room). I'm going to start research on speakers tomorrow as for my living room I will need a new full set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks