What's new

Subwoofer troubles (1 Viewer)

Brad A

Agent
Hey..I was wondering if I could get some advice on my Sub that isn't working all of a sudden ....I have a Sony SA-WM40 sub and an Onkyo TX-SR600 Receiver.... Settings areas follows

SPEAKER CONFIGURATION
1. Subwoofer is set to YES
2. Crossover..........120Hz

LEVEL CALIBRATION
1. Sub........ +8 db (but I'm getting no calibration sound from it)

I thought it might have been my sub cable ...so I went and bought a new one...But it's still not working...Can anyone help me?? Thanks in advance

Brad

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Did you just coin a new term for Sunfire? SUNWOOFER :D

What mode are you listening in? The 601 has a "direct" mode that says it will disable the sub in stereo mode. Check your speaker settings to make sure they are not back to "large". My previous receiver did this on the odd occasion - when I went to Source Direct and back, it would keep all the speakers set to large for some reason, which meant no sub for movies.

No sound with a calbration tone will likely have nothing to do with the cable unless it is disconnected or damaged.

120Hz is fairly high for that sub to be crossed over.

Brad A

Agent
Oops on sunwoofer lol And I can't edit the subject..Oh well

I'm trying to listen in Dolby Digital 5.1..I'm using JBL S38 II's as mains and I do have them set to Large, But I always had them set there...Should I change them to small and change the sub crossover to 80 or 100? Thanks for helping

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With the S38s and that sub, I'd use 80Hz x-over and try it out with them set them to small. With the 601 I know you have the option of "both" for bass, and this is the setting I would recommend if the 600 has the same thing. If you set them to small you should get some sound out of the sub, so try it to at least see if the sub is working.

Brad A

Agent
"With the 601 I know you have the option of "both" for bass, and this is the setting I would recommend if the 600 has the same thing."

Brad A

Agent
I didn't even know it had one....I'll check that out too..What is the best way to get to the fuse?? thanks

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Before you do anything, check to see if you've turned on the sub (sometime you switched it off and forgot to turn it back on). If you've turned on the sub but it has no power, then I'm suspecting that you've blown the fuse. Check your sub manual... I'm not familiar w/ that sub. It should locate somewhere near the amp power supply.

Suggesting that you should lower your sub level to around -3db to -5db, assuming your sub level range is (-10db to +10db)

Good Luck...

Brad A

Agent
It's turned on...I have the POWER SAVE swith set to AUTO which means ---> When the subwoofer is on (The POWER indicator lights up green) and there is no signal input for about 7 minutes, the POWER indicator changes to red and the woofer enters power saving mode.While in this mode a signal is input to the woofer, the woofer automatically turns on...

While playing an active movie the light stays green...but when I turm off my receiver or swith to an average TV show the light turns red...This leads me to think the sub is getting input....but yet no sound comes from it....if it was NOT getting input..the light would stay red..

My sub level is from -12db to +12db

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
sounds like your subwoofer's auto-detect isn't working so well. this is a common problem with many subs; the sub won't "wake up". sometimes, but not always, a Y-splitter that allows connection of the subwoofer cable to both the L+R inputs on your sub (if it has both) can help with this problem. but a better solution is to not use the "power-save" mode and leave the sub ON all the time.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds like your auto-on is working fine, I don't think that is the problem. The green light indicates it is getting signal. This means your receiver is likely working fine also.

In the speaker setup menu (on the 601) there is an option for bass to be sent to the sub only or sub and mains. With it set to "both" the sub should be getting signal.

So you have a few possibilities now: 1) something became disconnected inside or 2) the amp's output section died or 3) the voice coil on the driver fried. My guess would be 1 or 2.

Did you ever pull the driver out to do the poly-fill mod? A wire may have been knocked loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks