What's new

Subwoofer Test Tones/Avia (1 Viewer)

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
When using the test tones with Avia it gives tones with all speakers. My question is this, Do I just use the first tone, front-left to set the volume setting of my sub? I only have one sub and it is not hooked up with any other speakers. (in-line) It is hooked up by the sub out on my receiver.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
One other thing, the Radio Shack meter is less sensitive at lower freqs by about 2 - 3 dB. So for the levels to truely be accurate, once you've set them level with Avia using the sub test tones, you should lower the sub level by 2 - 3 dB. It seems counterintuitive, but because the meter is *less* sensitive, the levelled matched LFE signal is then 2 - 3 dB *too loud*. Think about it for a minute and you'll get it.

Of course, once you've set it with Avia, use your own judgement to adjust it up or down for movies and/or music.

Plus, I would also suggest cross-checking the results with either another test disc (VE (but not DVE), Chesky's DVD-A/DVD-V test disc, etc), or with the receiver's (or pre/pro's) internal test tones. The more info you have to match those levels, the better off you'll be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks