Subwoofer Test Tones/Avia

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by douglas-b, Jan 29, 2006.

1. douglas-b

douglas-b Stunt Coordinator

Douglas Berry
    When using the test tones with Avia it gives tones with all speakers. My question is this, Do I just use the first tone, front-left to set the volume setting of my sub? I only have one sub and it is not hooked up with any other speakers. (in-line) It is hooked up by the sub out on my receiver.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It shouldn't matter which channel you use.

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

See the Avia primer in my sig block.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

One other thing, the Radio Shack meter is less sensitive at lower freqs by about 2 - 3 dB. So for the levels to truely be accurate, once you've set them level with Avia using the sub test tones, you should lower the sub level by 2 - 3 dB. It seems counterintuitive, but because the meter is *less* sensitive, the levelled matched LFE signal is then 2 - 3 dB *too loud*. Think about it for a minute and you'll get it.

Of course, once you've set it with Avia, use your own judgement to adjust it up or down for movies and/or music.

Plus, I would also suggest cross-checking the results with either another test disc (VE (but not DVE), Chesky's DVD-A/DVD-V test disc, etc), or with the receiver's (or pre/pro's) internal test tones. The more info you have to match those levels, the better off you'll be.