What's new

Subwoofer shaking my house! (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
You know, my downstairs neighbor that just moved in is a HT fan, I'm SICK AND FUCKING TIRED of listening to his sub, it's REALLY annoying the shit out of me.
I need to make an entire CD of about a 30hz test tone, then copy it 4 times to fill my carousel, turn it up to shake the windows volume and leave for the day :angry:

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
*Sigh*... I really hate to come from the other side of the argument on this one. Until recently, this wasn't much of a problem for me. But now i'm really getting into the higher-end serious HT area, and I really have to worry about how loud it is for other people and it really takes the fun out of it. It takes the fun out of it not because I am unable to turn it up as loud as I want, but because I actually don't want to piss my neighbors off. I would really like to keep on good terms with my neighbors and make this a nice friendly neighborhood.
I already have a neighbor down the street that is a pain in the ass and it really ruins your day. She makes a big fuss and tries to call the cops when ever we run our Go-cart around the court a few times. We tried reasoning with her, and we only do it for short periods of time in order to make sure it runs good before we take it to the track. This lady also called the cops on us during 4th of july because we were doing a few safe-and-sane fireworks eventhough they are illegal. (I don't think kids should be deprived of the simple fun of using sparklers and such on our national holiday, regardless of the law, so shoot me for having fun with the kids...) Again, she could have just been reasonable and told us if she didn't like it, but she had to make her point and call the cops. My point is that it is NOT fun having a neighbor that isn't reasonable, and as a neighbor I feel that you should give your neighbors a little slack when it comes to disturbing your piece in the name of fun and entertainment.
I remember when I was younger, my parents got mad because our neighbor was playing Jurassic Park on Laserdisc VERY loud and they could hear it in their bedroom while they were trying to sleep. At the time I couldn't understand why my neighbor would do this, and thought he was just being a jerk... but looking back, I wish I would have talked my parents out of bitching at him, and gone and sat down and watched the movie with him. :frowning:

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
But now i'm really getting into the higher-end serious HT area, and I really have to worry about how loud it is for other people and it really takes the fun out of it. It takes the fun out of it not because I am unable to turn it up as loud as I want, but because I actually don't want to piss my neighbors off. I would really like to keep on good terms with my neighbors and make this a nice friendly neighborhood.
I'm sorry, Chris, but tough. It's the price you have to pay to live in the neighbourhood you live in. Your neighbour may be being a jerk over the fireworks & calling the cops, but when it comes to noise, you're doing the right thing by paying attention to the effects of your HT on the surrounding people.

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
I'm just saying that we all have to give and take a little, and it's nice when your neighbors are understanding.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I can only imagine how loud the original posters neighbor had their stuff turned up. I went over to a friend of mines house after he got a SVS sub. I parked in the street and walked up the drive. I didn't hear anything until I got right up to the windows and it wasn't the bass it was the windows I heard. The sub and everything are in the front room so its not like there was a lot of space between the front and the outside. When I opened the door I heard it, but nothing was leaking out.

So this guy must either have had windows open or his house has zero insulation and was horribly built. You gotta turn it up awefully loud in order for it to leak out of homes.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Subs are great, but when they start registering on the rictor scale, that's a tad much! :eek:
It sounds to me like this guy can't possibly have his sub calibrated properly for it to be thumpin that hard.

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
No further problems to report.

To flesh out my feelings on the issue:

I am as much into give and take as the next guy. I have no problem with the loudness of it AS LONG AS it is not habitual and not late at night. And yes, I consider past 10 late. Part of the reason I was so worried about it is that I knew it had to be fairly far away as the neighbors on each side of me are retired. By the way I talked to the retired guy between me and the offender and he said his bed was shaking. Now I am the call you first sort before calling the police, my retired friend is the call the police sort of guy.

As for how loud the guy turned it up. It had to be really loud, although his family room would be "pointed" toward my bedroom with no real protection. His outer wall between us is made up of two side by side windows pointing at me and sliding glass doors out the back. As I said no noise out of the front of the house, however if I stepped outside in the back I got an earful. This is over my bedroom TV also.

Have not seen the system and do not want to. Out of my league as far as $, I am sure and not really my cup of tea anyway. I like 5.1 sound however put me in the camp that really just can not tell the difference past a certain point. That being said, based on reading this forum I did steer my brother toward a very nice Denon receiver and a Boston 5.1 speaker setup (total cost around $1.5k, if I remember correctly).

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
Have any of you ever gotten knocks on the door? I know there are some people with very high end instruments of bass making on this forum.
I had my neighbor call the cops on me once. The funny thing is, is that my sub is in the basement

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks