Subwoofer shaking my house!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChadM, Aug 20, 2002.

1. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

For the last couple of weeks, at least once per week, one of my neighbors HT has been shaking my house at night. Usually this starts about nine and ends at 11:30. Now I love my sub, however I find this a little excessive. I mean if I can hear it in my house then it must really be cranked up. I think the guy is two doors down from us.

My question(s) or at least the things I would like to discuss are:

What should I say to this guy? As an HT owner I know some of my neighbors have probably gotten a jolt or two from me, however, I try to keep it to normal times of the day and night. Also, this sub is out of my league (nor would I want such a thing), I mean this is deep bass through my walls from two doors down over my bedroom TV. I would be happy with this in my room when I am watching a movie!

Have any of you ever gotten knocks on the door? I know there are some people with very high end instruments of bass making on this forum.

What are your rules for noise making? Like I said, I try to watch movies at a normal volume, especially after nine when my child is asleep.

Anyway, just wanted to get some opinions from people in the hobby before I pull all of my hair (what I have left) out.

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

3. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

You're sure it's an HT and not a kid in a car? The latter is the only thing that ever shakes my house. It comes from high-school kids who park outside someone's house on our street and blast their subwoofer-fortified car stereo.

I once cranked my HT system to as loud as I can bear and walked around the house and surrounding neighborhood. I only heard it when I got near my exterior walls.

4. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

I thought about the car thing, however a quick walk last night about 10:30 revealed no cars and only minimal noise out of the front of the house. I could really hear it from the porch out back, which is where the living areas of most houses are situated.

I have been thinking about just going to talk to everyone in that end of the cul de sac tonight to try to pin down the source, you know, starting the conversation with "did that noise keep you guys up last night too?" sort of thing.

5. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

If you find out who it is you could politely ask him or her to try to keep it down a little at night.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am moving this to the After Hours Lounge. Had to think about where to place it for a few seconds.

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Have you checked to see if it's possibly another HTF member? [​IMG]
    If it is indeed HT related noise, it's a good possibility he/she may not realize how much bass is leaking out of their house. I would find who it is, strike up a conversation about HT's and such, then offer to come over and calibrate their system for them as their bass sounds a little too heavy. It's possible if they find you have a common interest, they may be a little more willing to respect your need for quiet.
    However, some people just enjoy being obnoxious a**holes with no respect for other people and the more you tell them to turn it down, the louder it goes. It seems every neighborhood has got at least one. If this is the case, I would check with your local law enforcement what your options are. Here in Milwaukee, I can demand the police issue a citation on the spot and they will do it. But, I would definitely try to go the peaceable route first.

8. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    When you say the sub is shaking your "house" do you mean like a townhouse or apartment, or a "real" house (four seperate walls, yard, property line etc)?
    If it's a "real" house, look up the noise pollution laws for your area. If your neighbor is breaking them, call the cops. The neighbor will never know who ratted him out.
    If it's a townhouse or apartment, call the property manager and get them to deal with it. You don't have to put up with that malarkey.
    Keep in mind that turnabout is fair play, though when the cops knock on your door![​IMG]

9. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

Got an answer to my problem. It was the guy down the street and he was watching a movie (Episode 1). Let them know politely that I could hear the bass over my TV in the bedroom. Hopefully I will not have any more problems.

Nathan, yes a real house with a yard (albeit small) and everything, two doors down! This guy evidently has a major league setup. I did not get invited in to look or anything, these people are not very neighborly.

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

11. James St

James St Supporting Actor

I'm waiting for a thread to pop up called "My neighbor 2 doors down asked me to turn down my sub."[​IMG]

12. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

man, I wanna see this sub [​IMG]

14. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

15. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

what is the meaning of "two doors down"? i understand two floors down, but not two doors down. i ask because my english sucks. i even wrote "scotch" instead of "scottish" on the other thread!

16. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

felix- Two doors down means: two houses away from either the left or the right of location of said original house.

17. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

18. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

what is "noise cancellation system set up" ?

19. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Felix,

That would be when you install noise reducing/cancelling foam. It's just another way to say soundproofing.

Bruce

20. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

IIRC power output is cube of distance.

IOW, he was running his sub at about 8x or more of what you run yours.

I'd guess he's going - or gone - deaf...

Mike