What's new

Subwoofer Setup? (1 Viewer)

MarcusKeyser

Auditioning
Hi all ... I'm a lurker that has been enjoying this forum for a while now (thanx !!) ... Is it my imagination or did TAL_E say his dad would kick down for a McIntosh amp ??? If so why are we discussing hooking up bose speakers with an external propriatary bose EQ and a $300 subwoofer ... For the price of a single McIntosh he could get 3 B&K Ref 200.2 amps, a velodyne SPL II 1200 ... OK ... SVS for this crowd :), AND replace the bose with timbre matched B&W's (cuz you know there's no way those speakers are matched !!!) Furthermore ... he said he had a McIntosh 5100 (I'm assuming McIntosh MA 5100). If this thing works its worth $500 to collectors and is priceless in coolness !!!

As for the question asked ...
"My questions is what kind of subwoofer should i be looking for so the i could hook it up into my receiver"

I agree with ScottCHI ... just run the B&W's with a Sub in front of it crossing over around 80 ... try it out some day just for giggles ... you should be able to make out a much cleaner sound stage with clear imaging and more dynamics (the bose speakers are robbing your system !!!) ... if LOUDNESS is what you want get an additional amp (200 watts should do it for ya) for the B&Ws

DISCLAIMER ... I'm actually running Bose 201s !!!! (hidden as R&L rears) I know for a fact they are a poor match for my BA VRMs but nobody notices during pans through the rear. For stereo they're not in the mix !!

Thanx you guys for all your insights - I studied all of them with my recent purchase ... I'm waiting for the yellow DHL truck to show up with my system any day now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

here's info on the 5100:
...roger-russell.com/amppre.htm#ma5100
here's pricing info:
...audioweb.com/Directory/ModelInfo.asp?modelid=8378

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
I think the best option would be getting a 5, 6 or 7.1 receiver to start with. You could set the B&Ws to run as LARGE speakers and the bose could be set to SMALL. With a decent enough receiver you could set the crossover slope on the Bose speakers to whatever you want. Having the Bose set to small would also keep them from holding the B&Ws back and might have an effect on the need for a sub depending on how low the B&Ws will play (I have no idea). Maybe find a matching B&W center channel to set on top of your monitor if it'll fit!

For the connection from your sound card go with a either a coaxial or optical output to the receiver. If your sound card has neither then swap it out for one that does because the digital to analog converters in most sound cards suck as I recently found out for myself. :)

Now having said all that, I don't know what your doing with your computer but, If you are gaming then with a surround receiver you'll be able to have surround sound for it via Dolby Digital (if the game supports it) and if you're just listening to MP3s you can switch to 5, 6 , or 7 channel stereo (depending on what the receiver supports) if you like all speakers playing the same sounds all at once like your current setup. And if you still need a sub just buy whatever powered sub you want and hook it to the LFE out on the receiver a BOOYA, done deal.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks