What's new

Subwoofer Setup? (1 Viewer)

Tal _E

Grip
Ok, the equalizer i know works, originally there were these two metal u's in there and i took them out and you can hear the difference. My speakers are all in a series. If it's impossible for me to hook up my equalizer I won't. It's ok that they affect all the speakers I'd just ratherr them only on the bose if it were possible. You peopl brought up the question of why i have so much hooked into one receiver. Should I have some sort of amplifer?

KevinCL

Auditioning
Ok from everything you posted I will try an give you some answers and suggestions. First I will go over what I think your current system is. You have a stereo reciever and equalizer. It is designed to run two speakers in stereo mode and the equalizer is like an old car stereo equalizer and basiclly adjust the sound and frequency of the stereo speakers. You are running 6 speakers and have them chain linked from speaker to speaker. The equalizer works on all 6 because they are downline.If you add a subwoofer it will be part of one side of the chain and downline of the reciever and equalizer.If you go with this set up I would unhook the equalizer and let the subwoofer handle the bass management and the speakers handle the higher frequency range. It will be stereo you will just have more range.

My suggestion is to buy a cheap A/V reciever with at least 5.1 surround. Then each speaker would have it's own channel 5 vs 2. Use the B&W as the front left and right. Use 2 of the Bose for the rear right and left. Use the other 2 Bose with your current stereo amp and equalizer in the bedroom or another room you want stereo. You should be able to pick up the A/V reciever for around 300. For now run it with fantom center speaker and no subwoofer. When you get the money buy a subwoofer and center channel speaker. Your A/V reciever will have a channel out for both of those connections. You do it this way you will be Snug as a Bug in a rug and happy. Also you will have a far better setup than you do now. For now you are still in your price range and on your way to a home theater system.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
he only wants to add a sub to his "stereo", folks. i don't think he wants a new receiver.

here's my advice:

1. - buy a sub that has speaker-level inputs and outputs

2. - quit using the BOSE speakers altogether and just use the b&ws; your stereo will sound much better, especially after you add the sub.

3. - if you wish to use a sub's crossover with those speakers, connect the sub via the receiver's speaker outputs and connect the speakers to the sub's speaker outputs. if you want to run the b&ws "full-range", you can connect them to the receiver's speaker outs as usual and then connect the sub to the receiver's pre-outs.

i don't think there's anyone here that will disagree that you should just run the b&ws, and that's not just because the other speakers are BOSEs. even if you had 6 identical b&ws i wouldn't recommend running 6 speakers in a stereo setup, unless they're in other rooms. stereo is meant to be just that; stereo. that's 2 speakers (and maybe a sub).

Tal _E

Grip
I'd like to run as many speakers as possible. Kevin, for your suggestion, Since i'm going to be only inputting a stereo signal, does it make sense to go witha 5.1 receiver. I use the speakers for my computer and I have a 5.1 sound card so i could probably get it to output a 5.1 signal with some cables. What will I gain from switching to a 5.1 receiver? I'd like to have all the speakers if possible. It's an interesting idea. I could get an amplifer of some sort if I need. I have a mcintosh 5100 pre-amp downstairs and i could get a mcintosh amp from my father.

KevinCL

Auditioning
With a 5.1 system you add more sound and effects. If you did get an A/V Reciever and hooked it up to your Tv and a DVD player you can watch and listen to movies like they sound at a theater. You would have sound coming from 5 different speakers and 6 when you add a subwoofer. There is alot of excelent Information on this site about setting up a surround sound system. If you just want music I agree with Scott use the B&Ws and a subwoofer and let it rock. I have nothing against Bose but feel you would get a bigger sound from just the B&Ws. Every connection in your chain of speakers adds noise and steals power.

Tal _E

Grip
I don't notice noise, I like lots of volume so I'd be happy with just all 6 + sub if possible. Can i do a 6.1?

(edit)

Basically I want to just add a subwoofer to my existing system. What must I do to be able to do this?

Options -

1. Add in subwoofer using the speaker outputs and then use its outputs for the bose.

2. Get a 4.1/5.1/6.1 receiver and hook it up through that.

3. Remove the bose or two of the bose and hook it up the way it is.

I prefer 1 most, but If i coem across money afterwards I may buy a surround receiver.

Tal _E

Grip
ok, any suggestions as for which sub
between 100-300
crossover
built in amp
high level in and out

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Tal_E,

Since your budget is up to $300, why don't you get a cheap surround reciever like the Onkyo 501. You can have it for less than $200 online... And add the Dayton 10" powered sub from Part Express that is $100 from a few weeks ago. I didn't check for the price now... With those you can have your lil surround system up and running...movies will sound much better... Just my two cents...

Regards,
Alex

Tal _E

Grip
I have no idea how to build my own casing so I'd rather have one prebuilt with the subwoofer and the box. Any suggestions.

Can I use the mcintosh 5100 (it says pre-amp) as an amp?

ShaneR

Auditioning

Is this true?

I'm not doubting the person that posted this. The tech guys at Parts Express told me that I only need to use the "LFE out" going to the "R" input on the Dayton subwoofer I just purchased. I don't mind picking up a Y splitter if need be but didn't think I needed one.

Thanks

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
no, it's not.

it's best to NOT use a y-splitter from your lfe out if you can avoid it.

there are probably some other threads besides this one that address this topic. beware of the bs. a y-splitter should ONLY be used if there is a very good reason for it.

ShaneR

Auditioning
I just searched y-splitter and found a bunch of topics on this. Sorry for not finding them before but I wasn't searching y-splitter. I tried subwoofer setup and other type searches.

Thanks for the help,
Shane

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'd add to Scott's response, that his assertion that it is *undesireable* isn't true either. The bottom line is this: you don't need to use a y-cable, since the inputs get summed together at the sub. If you use the y-cable, the subwoofer will be louder, but will have the same effect as if you turned up the sub output at your receiver.

It isn't necessary, or undesireable, but there may be some rare instance where a user might want to use this to their advantage. Maybe the sub output isn't "waking the sub up" to auto-on, so a higher output to keeo it from turning off is desired, and this might do it instead of adjusting the receiver up. Anyway, so no you don't need the y-cable, as it won't improve anything, but it will change the characteristics of the connection. Sometimes that is beneficial, but usually it's just a moot change.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
I think the biggest thing here is if you have three 8 ohm speakers per channel and they are all connected parallel (+ to +, - to -), then you receiver is seeing a 2.67 ohm load per channel assuming my calculations are correct. I highly doubt it was designed to run with less than a 4 ohm load. It may run fine now and continue to do so for awhile, but then again it may not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks