What's new

Subwoofer Power Save Button (1 Viewer)

brigoody

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Just bought a used Sony STR-DE995 receiver and it came with Sony SS-V345 surround speakers. I noticed that the subwoofer is shutting down on its own and will start up on its own. The green button goes to red. Is this due to the Auto Power Save button being turned on? Why does it shut off and can I eliminate the automatic shut down by turning it off? Just want to make sure there is nothing wrong with the receiver too.
Thanks,

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
If your not playing anything or your system is off, why wouldn't you want it to shut off? Now if it isn't turning on when you have everything else on...that would be a problem. To answer your question, no there is nothing wrong with it.

brigoody

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I'm not sure if I stated my problem correctly. The subwoofer is shutting down while watching tv and movies. I hear a click, sub goes off, and button is now red. Watching movie or tv now with the sub.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My guess is you do not have it setup correctly, that is why it is shutting off during passages where there isn't a lot of bass. You need to adjust the output level of the receiver in the speaker setup to raise the level of the sub and adjust the gain (volume) on the sub down conversely to achieve the correct level and that should keep the sub on when you are listening to something.

brigoody

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Thanks John,

I did go into the receiver menu and looked at the level of the speakers. The sub was at 0dB. It ranges from +/- 10dB. Now according to my manual, it says "that in order to take advantage of the Dolby Digital bass, we recommend setting the cut off frequency on the sub as high as possible." I do not have an adustment knob on the power save button, so are they referring to adjusting the level up to +10dB, because that would go against what you are saying.

Thanks for the input

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They are referring to the crossover when they say to turn it up as high as you can. This allows the receiver to handle the crossover function internally when you set your speakers to small, which you should with that setup; providing you are using a single RCA preamp level sub connection, not speaker level (speaker wire). You don't usually want to have the crossover set both on the sub and in the receiver because they will combine and create a steeper roll off. That may be good in some cases, but that is generally only when you are using a lower crossover, which you won't likely be doing with those smaller satellite speakers. Try raising the sub to +1 or +2 in the receiver's setup menu and see if it helps. Believe it or not, this is not too uncommon.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yes, just remember that after you raise it a few db in the receiver, you have to recalibrate using the knob on the sub to get the same bass output as before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks