What's new

subwoofer noises (1 Viewer)

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
I have an energy xl-s8 just bought a few months ago. It seems to make alot of noise. It's not port noise, but there is a buzzing type sound coming from the woofer itself, almost as if the foam surround was coming loose, but I checked it really good and nothing is ripped or loose. Do you think I am driving it to hard. I have the volume on the sub set to 9 out of 10 and on the receiver to -10, the lowest it will go, the room is 14'wide and completely open in the back behind the seating area probably about 35'. I bought this when I was in a smaller room and didn't notice the sound then, but I only had the volume on 8. I only really notice it on low bass scenes like the opening to 5th element and toy story 2, not noticeable on music.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bob,
If this is an 8” sub, it is probably marginal for all but the smallest rooms, and by that I mean bedroom-sized rooms. However, delivering loud, rude crackling noises as the speaker is driven past its excursion limits is what usually marks an overdriven sub.
The buzz sounds like it might be residual 60-cycle noise, or noise from its internal ampliers. You might try reducing the sub’s volume and increasing the signal from the receiver.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help I will try that. Thankfully in the next few week I will be starting on the building of my tempest sonosub, that will definitely be an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks