What's new

Subwoofer crackles with no input connected and volume at min (1 Viewer)

BigWheelz

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd
I have an old Polk PSW-110 subwoofer that has a lot of crackling. I replaced the wire from the receiver to the speaker - no difference. I unplugged the input from the receiver and when I tap on the speaker I hear the noise - even if the volume is set to minimum. Any idea on what the most likely cause is and how I can test it? Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Try working (turn it all the way up and down repeatedly) the volume knob and any other knobs like phase. They may have some internal corrosion.

BigWheelz

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd
I did as you suggested. No crackling noise heard while moving any of the controls. No change after moving the controls. The volume of the crackling remains the same as I tap the speaker and increase/decrease the volume knob.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The amp is probably fried. I wanted to be certain it wasn't corrosion in the volume control, but if it's the amp, there's really nothing to do. It's not a expensive enough sub to be worth fixing. You'll probably just have to get a new one.

BigWheelz

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd
I grabbed a 6" speaker I had laying around and replaced the 10" subwoofer - I got the same crackling noises with no input attached which confirmed the amp was fried. I purchased and just installed a Dayton SA70 amp panel (with some small modifications to the Polk box). The Dayton unit works great and has no problem driving the 10" Polk subwoofer. It was a bit of a gamble since the SA70 (70watt) amp costs 2/3 the cost of a new Polk PSW10 subwoofer, but I'm getting the bass I was looking for with the gain set at half power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks