Subwoofer Hookup Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Robbie_L, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Robbie_L

Robbie_L Auditioning

My JBL Subwoofer has both an LFE input and normal RCA input. My question, which input would be more benefical to hook up? Also, if I am to use the LFE input should I be using a normal analog RCA cable or digital coax?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I can answer the cable question...any RCA audio cable will be fine. No need for anything special, although a 75 ohm video coax will also be fine, if you have one.

I don't have your sub, so I can only guess what the seperate inputs achieve. Its possible that the LFE has no crossover applied, while the other input does, but I will let someone that his this confirm their functions.

BGL

3. Robbie_L

Robbie_L Auditioning

Thanks for the info. Now just need the other half answered.

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Well, usually LFE would refer to specifically the Low Frequency Effects of a soundtrack. In other words, not bass in general but the lowest of the bass frequencies, like 40 Hz and under. My guess is you would be connecting to LFE if you have true, full range speakers all around (e.g. towers) that can handle the normal range of bass frequencies.

5. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

LFE bypasses the crossover on some JBL subwoofers. Generally, you should use LFE if you use your receiver's crossover for bass management. Check the manual.