What's new

Subwoofer help (1 Viewer)

KenParnell

Auditioning
First Hello to everyone,

I have a home theater system that I am trying to hook up a sub to.

The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D901S with a sub output. I am
attempting to hook up a Pioneer powered sub-woofer to it. I used the interconnect cable supplied with the sub(I have also tried 3 other known good cables), I have power, and set the output level to mid-range(I have tried turning it up slowly0...no sound. I ran the Video Essentials DVD through it, and the tone for the sub produced no sounds and no meter readings on the front of the receiver. I have looked and found no setting for the sub output on the receiver. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Ken

John S

Senior HTF Member
Most AVR's have to be told there is a subwoofer, in some sort of setup.

Just for diagnosis sake, hook it up to the Speaker Level inputs to your front left and right and see if it produces sound.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Then the sub works... Now to getyour LFE working right...

If you never had a sub then add one, you have to tell the AVr it has a sub... There must be some way to do this in setup on the AVR.

Let me know....

JunoVazquez

Stunt Coordinator
this is pointing to the receiver setup. Read on the speaker setup section of your manual, I believe you can easily access this setup on your remote.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I have a similar VSX series reciever. To access your subwoofer you should press 'right' on the remotes 'up, down, left, reight' D-pad repeatedly (this is the short version of tehset-up) until you get to the screen 'SUBWOOFER OFF' then press "up" until it says 'SUBWOOFER ON'.

KenParnell

Auditioning
I agree I felt I should be able to get to a menu of sorts to turn the sub feature on or off...I have yet to find it.

Garrett, the only buttons like those, up/down/left/right, that I have on my remote, the CU-VSX023 Programmable remote, are the balance/level controls for the rear and center channel. When I push the right button all it does is change the balance. Are the buttons you are talking about?

Thanks,
Ken

John S

Senior HTF Member
Dang, I couldn't find a manual on-line for that unit...

There has to be a way, if it has a sub out on it.

KenParnell

Auditioning
I know, it does not make any sence...I have the paper manual and it is not mentioned in it :frowning:

John S

Senior HTF Member
But the reciever has a Sub out and or LFE out????

If so, it is hard to beleive it is not mentioned in the manual.

But in the mean time, you can hook it up with the high level connectons. So at least you can use it.

KenParnell

Auditioning
I know, it does have a sub output, the only mention in the manual is a diagram that shows it connect directly to the sub.

High level connections? I am not sure which you mean, sorry I am a little slow on this, is that the pre-amp output? If so how do I get the sound back into the AVR to get that speaker to work?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I am talking about using the front left/right speaker outputs to it. This is a valid way to hook it up, even though not optimal.

make sure you ste your fronts speakers to large in your AVR setup, but I think they already are set that way.

JunoVazquez

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure if it's really VSX-901S?

I checked the pioneer site and all they have is VSX-908S and I tried to search 901S in Google and it came back with zero results.

If you have the VSX-908S you can hook the Video Monitor Out to your TV and you can see a menu to setup your receiver.

Download the manual for VSX-908S at www.pioneerusa.com they have a section for manuals in pdf. Good luck!

KenParnell

Auditioning
JunoVazquez, Thanks, but it is a VSX-D901S I doubled checked the back of the reciever and the manual I have and that is the correct model number. I am connected to the monitor out and can see some displays, but I can not get to a setup menu for some reason. I do appreciate the help.

John, Thanks for your help as well.

Ken

JunoVazquez

Stunt Coordinator
Turn your TV on and select the correct input (where the monitor out from your receiver is connected).

If your remote has a selector switch for "setup" slide it on to that side. Press the system setup button, a menu on the screen should pop open. Select Speaker Setting, on the menu select Subwoofer and using the +/- button or left/right button select Yes. While you're at it, choose the right setting of your speakers, set it to small if you want the low frequencies be routed to your "troublesome" subwoofer :) Let me know if this helps.

We will not stop until we get this right!!!!

KenParnell

Auditioning
That is where I have had all my probems, my remote, a CU-VSX023, does not have a menu or setup button on it. This is an older receiver, but it is not that old...I don't think.

Thanks,
Ken

JunoVazquez

Stunt Coordinator
But it should still have a feature where you could adjust what you see on your monitor though. How do you navigate the RECEIVER's setup menu?

Do you have an Instant Messenger?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks