What's new

Subwoofer distortion? (1 Viewer)

Philip-j

Auditioning
My processor (Anthem AVM 20) has a "bass peak level" feature which allows the user to set the maximum output level of the sub. To set it up, a test tone is run through the subwoofer and the user adjusts the level until distortion is heard. Once this level is reached, you back the levels off a notch, and therby set the maximum output level of the sub. My problem is that I seem to be getting distortion at a very low level--around -47 db. The lowest setting is -50 db. Consequently, I am not sure if what I am hearing is actually considered distortion. The sound is akin to paper rattling--and I am wondering if this is "distortion" as such. I have a Mirage bps400 subwoofer which should be able to handle a fairly large input. Am I being too cautions setting this level?

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
That sounds like distortion. A kind of crackling sound. How high is the gain set for the sub? I would not mess with the limiter function on your preamp and leave it off. Just get a SPL meter and test disc and go from there. I had the same problem with a Denon 5803 and I am running dual VTF-3's!

Mike Sloan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks