What's new

Subwoofer calibration (1 Viewer)

TonyWright

Second Unit
Mike,

That corner placement seemed to be the only place in my room where the sub could perform in all frequencies they way it should be able to. It's wierd how placing the sub in one place can cause nulls and such.

Corner placement sure helped me, but it took a lot on convincing of the wife. :)

Tony

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Yea I know. My room is so small that It is hard to place it where it should. I reviewed it here as well. Just search for SW900. You should find it. In case you are interested.
Mike D

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. When I get a chance I am going to add some more comments on it and more movie demos for it.

Thanks again
Mike D

DarrylP

Grip
Thanks Tony

I'm aware of the level setting and do adjust it often as I've been recalibrating my entire system each time I've made changes and adjusted the room acoustics or moved a speaker or sub.

The -5 puzzled me as I couldn't understand what setting it referred too i.e.my subs are currently correctly calibrated as correct at -8 and yes I could increase the level of all the speakers by 3db but I can't see that it's necessary.

I don't use Avia as the pre-amp generates its test own which it ultimately uses to calculate sound decay frequencies and to build room correction filters.

Interestingly I've two subs in the front corners as well as built in active subs in the mains and centre and when I had the freestanding subs not in the corners the sub SNR was just below the level required to allow the pre-amp to calculate the room correction filters for the low frequencies.

Since moving them into the corners the SNR is 35% above the required minimum frequency!

Having the three active subs in the mains and centre which I've chosen to feed via the speaker cable not via a dedicated feed (the subs are fed via LFE cable) do you think that I should be running LFE only, Bass neutral or Bass heavy?

Lastly again why no THX bass limiter?

Thanks and regards
Darryl

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Here's the idea behind setting the sub level to -5 dB on your receiver or pre/pro:

S&V still tests for this, although most HT mags don't. What they found was that if you set the sub level at 0 dB or above on a lot of components, and if you get a very bass heavy scene or movie, the sub output level can actually overload in the receiver or pre/pro. (To be honest, this was more of a problem a few years ago. Most manufacturers adjusted the headroom of the 0.1 channel to compensate for this now.)

You still adjust the sub's *acoustical* level to reference or a little hot or whatever you prefer, but you use the volume knob on the sub for gain, and leave the pre/pro or receiver's output at -5 dB.

Tim O...

Stunt Coordinator
Tony,

Glad you're enjoying your PB2. As you're seeing now, it is an extemely capable sub for all but the largest rooms. If it's not performing well for you in your room it's almost certainly a matter of uneven response due to the room.

I agree with you that it's an outstanding product and Ron and Tom are to be congratulated. I think it would be hard to find that kind of performance in another sub for even twice the price, unless you buy another SVS.

Welcome to the club :O)

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks