What's new

Subwoofer cable for Denon 3803 (1 Viewer)

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Do I need a subwoofer cable with a Y adapter on it for the Denon 3803 or will a single cable do? Here's a pic of the back:

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pho...803%20Back.jpg

The only place there's a subwoofer RCA out is in the area below the 1st component video inputs. Looking at the receiver at home it seems to me that this is the only place to put a subwoofer cable. Correct? Thanks.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
If you needed a Y-adapter it would be attached to the subwoofer's input RCA jacks and not the AVR. Check with your subwoofer's manual or MFG to see if they recommend the use of one.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
What Mark said. The bottom part of the "Y" goes to the receiver. The top part of the "Y" goes to the sub.:)

Jarek

Auditioning
Bumping up this old thread.. :) but I'm in the same situation and want to make sure I make the right decision. I have the Denon 1603 receiver. The Sub out on the back has only one rca type connector. In the manual the sub out is described as:
"1 analog pre out terminal" with the following pre amp specs:
"output level/load impediance = 1.2V/10 kohms
freq response 10Hz-100Khz(+1,-3db)
s/n ratio 98db (A-weighting)

My sub has two RCA style inputs and the manual states:
"If your amp is equipped with a monophonic "sub out" output you must then connect it to the left or right "sub in" input. If your amplifier is equipped with stereo Sub out outputs or if you use the "pre out" section of your amp you must connect to the respective left and right "sub in" inputs on your woofer."

So basicall my question is if the "sub out" on the receiver is classified as a monophonic one and I only need one RCA cable or is it classified as a "pre out" section of the amp and I need to get a sub cable with a Y connection at the end?

Thank you for any advice. :emoji_thumbsup:

brucek

Second Unit
jarek,

Your receivers sub out would not be considered a classic "pre out" which infers stereo output and not bass managed. This type requires two cables to a sub with a stereo input and expects the sub to perform bass management.

Your sub output is a combined mono bass managed signal with variable crossover points in the receiver. It expects to have a single cable run to your subs input. Now, most subs can usually accept a stereo signal (in case you have that as an output on your receiver), but they will also accept a mono signal (your case).

The jack that a mono sub signal is plugged into is usually marked on the sub or shown in its manual. You may also if you like, use a splitter at that point and split the cable into a 'Y' and plug into both the left and right channel of the sub - your choice.

Since your receiver handles the crossover duties, be sure to bypass or set the crossover on the sub to maximum to get it out of the way of interfering with the already managed signal your receiver provides...

brucek

Jarek

Auditioning
thank you! So you think the crossover in the Denon is better than the one in the sub?

brucek

Second Unit
The point is that since the sub signal is already managed in timing and crossover by the receiver, you don't want the sub interfering by adding any more filtering.

Some subs have a switch which bypasses its own internal crossover when selected. In lieu of this, you can accomplish the same effect by dialing the crossover in the sub to its maximum clockwise setting....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks