What speaker cables should I use for this setup?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by ChrisDumont, Aug 20, 2003.

1. ChrisDumont

ChrisDumont Agent

I took your guys advice and looked up some stuff. Though I dont know what kind of speaker cable I should use for this setup:

2 Connoisseur C-9 Energy
    2 C-1 bookshelfs
    1 C-C3 centre speaker
    2 CR3 surround speakers
    PB1-ISD SVS subwoofer
    Denon 3803 receiver

Also, where would I buy the speaker cable you recommend? And what subwoofer cable should I buy for that subwoofer? Thx guys

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

12 gauge is available from a number of sources: Home Depot, Lowes, PartsExpress (SoundKing), etc. All those come in a clear sheathing. If you want something different like blue, then KnuKonceptz at a slightly higher cost works well. Then simply terminate the ends as you see fit...bananas, spades, whatever makes you happy.
    The sub cable can be bought ready made as all it basically is is a shielded coax. You can, if you want, buy a preterminated video cable with F connectors and then simply add some F to RCA adapters.

3. ChrisDumont

ChrisDumont Agent

ok, so would 10 gauge be too much for that setup? I'm kinda lost on that last bit about the F connectors. So I would need to get some RCA cables (shielded right?) for my subwoofer (which cord? since my understanding is that an RCA cable is the red,white and yellow cable) and get some F connectors for it, would that work?

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Not too much but not necessary. 10 gauge won't confer any audible advantage and it'll likely make your connections to spades or bananas or pins more problematic.

With regards to the sub cable i'm sure i'm not making myself clear. First of all, it's helpful to keep in mind that a sub cable is only responsible for carrying signals below 120 Hz or so. A very easy job. If you needed a comparatively long length and cost is an issue, then you can buy fairly long lengths of video cable preterminated with F connectors. This would look like this...[​IMG]
    You would then purchase and RCA to F adapter. That looks like this..[​IMG]

On the other hand if you don't want to do it that way, then you'll need to purchase a cable that has RCA connectors on it already. That can be any shielded cable that's got a copper center conductor. It can be a video cable, a digital cable, a sub cable and it can cost as little as you want or you can shoot the moon. Radio Shack, various stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, maybe even Home Depot or Lowes are likely to have what you're looking for. There is nothing special about a sub cable and there's no reason a cable with another name won't work equally as well.