What's new

Subwoofer Cable Question (1 Viewer)

nik k

Agent
Hello everyone,
I have a question that i cant seem to answer using the power of the search button or i may be not understanding this correctly. I was at Circuit City and noticed how they had their subwoofers hooked up. They used coaxial (RF) cable with adapters on the end to make a RCA plug. Is this where the RG6 cable can be used??? Can this be done or is the cheap way, meaning loss in quality of signal??? Can i do this in my home??? My subwoofer is the velodyne CHT-12 conneted to a Denon 3803. Are there any y-adapters so that i can run one cable and then branch to the two inputs on the sub?? I was told this helps.....Does it??? Thanks for the help.

Nik K.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
YOu can do this, it's extremely common. SHould have more than enought bandwidth for subwoofer signal...

-Vince

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes, using an RG-6 cable with adapters is the "cheap way," but no it does not come at the expense of signal "quality" (which is essentially irrelevant with sub signals anyway).

Using a "y" adaptor to feed both inputs only increases the of the sub's input gain, due to both inputs being driven instead of one. Beyond that it doesn't "help" anything - you can accomplish the same thing by merely turning up the gain knob.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks