where can I get affordable cables and wire

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by vinson, Nov 21, 2003.

1. vinson

vinson Auditioning

Hi everyone,

I just bought myself a Denon 3803 from 6thave and Infinity IL-10 speakers and a SVS PB1 subwoofer. This is my first real system and I'm really excited this new hobby of mine. The next thing I need is speaker wire and some a/v cables. What are some that you guys recommend? I'm on a very limited budget and would like to spend as little as I can for something that works decent. I was thinking about getting the cheapest monster cables available. Also do I need a special surge protector for my electronics. Right now I'm just using a standard surge protector that you can find anywhere.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

This topic is subjective, but if you want low cost cables with decent quality go to your nearest Radio Shack, I don't anyone would consider them "poor" quality. Personally, I've compared them with some Tributaries brand cables at about 5 times the cost and noticed no benefits. People have also said good things about Blue Jeans cables as well, they seemed to be priced about the same as Monster, which is an over-rated cable IMO. I will say I have some Monster speaker cable that I liked the look of, but other than that, Home Depot sells fine speaker wire at cheap prices. A good surge protector is always welcome and you usually get what you pay for concerning them. I don't have a specific recommendation, but I'd try to get one in the $100 range at least. Sure there'll be plenty more opinions coming.

3. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

As for surge protectors, I recently came across this place on the web called ad wizards(do a Yahoo search for Panamax), the prices were incredible compared what shops around town wanted. And they are an authorized dealer of Panamax so you get the full warranty. As for speaker cables, if you want cheap I would say Home Depot is the best place or Ebay if you don't mind buying over the web.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

For your speaker hookups, 12 gauge wire covers just about everyone's bases however if your runs are going to be about 25 feet or less, then 14 gauge is perfectly adequate. Home Depot or Lowes is a local source. Online you might want to check out PartsExpress.com and head on over to the SoundKing brand. If you're thinking to yourself, damn, that clear coating is boring, then head on over to Knukonceptz.com and check out their blue PVC wire. A few pennies a foot more.

At this point you need to make a decision as to how they'll hook up to your receiver and speakers. You can terminate the ends in bananas, spades, pins or leave it as bare wire or tin the bare wire with some solder. Myself, I like bananas on the receiver and spades on the speaker end but this is strictly a matter of personal preference. There is no sonic penalty paid regardless of how you go. Some people though aren't so careful with their bare wires and find themselves in situations where a stray wire wanders over and creates a short.

You need a sub cable. The simple solution is as follows. Determine the length you need. Let's say it's 10 feet. Then go and buy yourself a length of coax cable that already has F-Connectors and then just head on over to Radio Shack and get some F to RCA adapters. Presto, sub cable. OTOH, you may find it easier if you're going to be ordering your speaker wire and connectors from PartsExpress, to simple add a sub cable of appropriate length.

There are many places for component cables to hook up your DVD to say your TV. You can get GE's at Target or even cheaper, this is one of many sources of inexpensive video cable with specifications that vastly exceed the capabilities of DVD players.
    http://www.national-tech.com/specs/10v2-02506.htm
    There are other equally inexpensive video cables so ask if you want some additonal sources. Yes, you can spend more...much more. Consider the following though. If cable A is $10 and faithfully transmits the signal with no visual degradation then what does cable B that costs $100 do for you or cable C that costs $500. FWIW, the cable that runs from your video card to your monitor is handling 10 or more times the bandwidth of your DVD player.

Assuming your TV is hooked up to your system then you want a surge protector to hook everything into and that includes the cable or satellite coax. Consider getting the Stratitec (their website is online) which probably has enough outlets, provisions for your coax, and can be bought in the vicinity of $20 at either Sam's Club or online at www.directron.com for a couple of dollars more. I don't recall how many joules it has other than it's in the mid 2000's which isn't too shabby. Now you can certainly pay more and not get anything of any tangible significance. The only reason to spend more for a surge protector is if you want to have some kind of unit that sits on your rack and has some power management capabilities, like sequenced turn ons/offs, 12 volt triggers, switched and unswitched outlets, etc. If you're a homeowner, I'd advise you to investigate in a whole house surge protector as your primary means of defence.

5. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

6. vinson

vinson Auditioning

Thanks for all the helpful info. I'm glad to hear that I have inexpensive options for all my cable needs. I'm going to check out parts express and home depot. Will keep you all updated with what I eventually end up doing.

Thanks

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

and those cable options vinson would serve you equally well if say your DVD player were a $49 variety or a 5 figure SACD unit. people generally buy more expensive connectors for the same reason they no longer have dinnerware from Walmart when they move into a $750,000 home. If the performance increase doesn't translate into audible or visual improvements then so what? It's like a kid who goes and puts on a cold air intake and 2 1/2 exhaust system on his Civic and now, having dropped $1500 proudly says he's gotten an extra 3 HP. Wow...must've dropped his 1/4 mile time to...ummmmm...ummmm...gee, it didn't change [​IMG]

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

But it did make the Civic annoyingly loud, which is what they must really be after because they (average modified civic owner) never race these things anyway!

9. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

10. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

11. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

12. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Wally Mart ?????........

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Wall Martay Brian [​IMG]

14. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

www.heartlandcables.com

Dan Kaps, the owner, is a super nice person, does custom lengths, and backs his products 100%. I recently swapped out all of my Monster cables with Hearland stuff. Best advice I can give you - Don't buy Monster.