What's new

Subwoofer Buzzing (1 Viewer)

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the quick and dirty on part of my system:

Denon AVR 2803
NHT SW2P sub (unpowered) with a NHT amp

We moved into our new-used house this past summer. Before hooking up the system, I purchased the above referenced reciever. When I hooked up my old optimus sub, it buzzed. I didn't investigate further as I was planning on upgrading the speakers which it did...to a NHT satalite-sub system.

Now my new-used SW2P buzzs too, as it has from the get-go. I'm to the point where I have to have the amp at 1/4 volume or the buzzing is unbearable. The subs' amp uses a two prong power cord which is plugged into a cheap-0 power strip along with the rest of the stereo components. The reciever and amp are connected via a 'signal cable', the amp and sub are currently connected via Home Depot 12 guage speaker wire. I do not have cable or satilite hooked up to the TV, just an antenna. However, the PO left her dish (mounted outside) and the dish's cable enters the house (to a box) about six inches from the sub.

I find if I move the power strip the buzzing gets worse or better, but never goes away. The back of Amour(sp) is a big cluter-f#@k of wires and cables.

Any help, I'm pulling my hair out!!!

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Quote:
I find if I move the power strip the buzzing gets worse or better, but never goes away.

This sounds like an open shield connection on the interconect between your receiver and the sub's power amp.

I would try replacing this cable first.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the 'signal cable' as I was under the impression they made pretty good stuff at a reasonable price. The cable is supposed to be shielded. I also have a 15ft monster sub cable, I get the same amount of buzzing if I use this cable as well.

[edit]

I initially had the sub's amp on top of the sub and used the monster cable to connect the amp to the reciever. In this configuration, both with the powered opitmus and unpowered NHT, the sub's hummed. I purchased the shorter signal cable and moved the sub amp to the amour(sp) with the rest of the equipment. The buzzing remained.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Try this:

1- Disconnect the signal cable between receiver and amp that powers sub. If hum persists the problem is a defective amp feeding the sub.

2- If hum clears, reconnect cable and turn off all equipment except sub's amp and disconnect form the wall.

3- Plug into the AC one component at the time while listening for hum. If at any point hum comes back you have a ground loop problem.

4- If not then try turning on each component one at a time till the hum comes back.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Well folks...I spent 5 hours Saturday re-wiring my receiver and components. I cut a rectangualr hole in the Armour(sp)behind the receiver and re-routed the speaker wires and other cables through here. I then zipped-tied all the power supply cords together and ran them up the inside side of the Armour and out a hole about 1 foot from the receiver and about 6 inches from the sub amp.

Problem solved!!! No more buzzing, not a peep, hiss, or buzz of any kind. The system is an absolute joy to listen to now. I'd have to say everything seems to sound better.

Anyway, turns out the power cords were most likely causing interference with the speaker wires running from the sub amp to the sub or the sub cable from the sub amp to the receive, causing the buzz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks