What's new

Subwoofer and Hard Drive (1 Viewer)

Dan Brodin

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking about this the other day after I decided to purchase an SVS 20-36 subwoofer. Is there any danger to the 3 hard drives I have in my main computer which will be about 3-4ft away from the subwoofer and the hard drives in my Tivo and XBOX from the low frequencies (12hz - 50hz) created by the the SVS or any sub woofer for that matter? I know hard drives are built really well nowadays and can sustain a ridiculous high level of G-forces while operating and even more non operating. I just had to wonder if that durability would also translate to sustaining constant pulses of low frequencies emitted by powerful subwoofers. In actuality I have a feeling they will be fine and can always turn off the computer and tivo when running the sub to be sure but was just looking for some reassurance.

thanks guys,

-Dan

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

I do believe that you'll be fine. BTW the 20-39 wont go down to 12hz for long if at all.

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
No problems with a PB-2+ thumping one meter away from a workstation/HT/gaming PC...

Dan Brodin

Stunt Coordinator
I do believe that you'll be fine. BTW the 20-39 wont go down to 12hz for long if at all.

David,

Woops. I messed up on the model number. I purchased the SVS 20-39PC-Plus. Would you still say that 12hz would be pushing it? The site and manual seems to indicate that with the port plugs you can achieve 12hz yet sacrifice dbs in the high frequencies.

-Dan

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
If it's not shielded, you should keep it at least 4 feet away from any magnetic media (HDD, floppy discs, casette or video tapes), or tube televisions. 6 feet to be really safe.

Most subs are not shielded btw.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
regarding vibration, i had a problem with my new sub locking up my denon dvd player... i had to get some vibrapods to isolate it. now, i can shake my TV (36" tube) and the dvd player is dead, you can put a marble on top and it wont even move.

these things are cheap ($24 for a set of four) and you can get them at audio advisor. they will stop ANY vibration. i would recommend them if your computer is that close... it will eventually make your HD fail. (well, that is if you listen to it at levels like i do :))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks