What's new

Sub-Woofers (1 Viewer)

RayMC

Auditioning
OK All of you pros...I joined to learn something and being brand new to this HT I've got a question!!!I am currently running a Sony STR-DA30ES and have Cerwin Vega 5.1 home theater speakers in a small room.My receiver has 2 outlets for sub woofers.I currently have one connected and another brand new one on the way.Am I going to gain anything by connecting two subs? Thanks Ray;)

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
If you have a new one on the way...shouldn't you have asked before you ordered it? If somebody says "No, you will gain nothing", will you take it back? I mean someones opinion now really doesn't matter, does it? Its already on the way.

I'm sure you'll be happy if your receiver does indeed have two sub outputs.:)

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
Depends how you set them up. Two subs can cancel each other at certain frequencies, especially when they're spaced far apart. If they're right next to each other, you should gain about 3db in output. Hopefully they each have a phase control - a continuously variable one would be best, but usually they're just 0 or 180 degrees.

RayMC

Auditioning
Thanks Nathan,
They are a 100watt powered sub and have a phase control.The room is only 12x14 and they will be about six feet apart.I guess I"ll just have to experiment and see what sounds best!! Ray

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Although this is counter intuitive, putting the subs together in a corner will almost certainly give you the best performance.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Depending on how the room is set up with the furniture and other incidentals, seperating them can be quite beneficial. I have two diy subs coming from one big amp and the way it's set up fills the room with bass from the front of the t.v. and front speakers to the rear seating and adjacent area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks