What's new

Sub cuts out sometimes with yamaha ax v995 receiver (1 Viewer)

urbanscrawl

Auditioning
Real Name
SAM
I have the yamaha 5.1 AX v-995 receiver that I've connected up with a Bose accoustimass 5 series ii, including the base module. It works fine, and gives good omnidirectional bass at low volumes. However, the sound cuts out entirely when the volume is played a little louder - not even close to annoying the neighbours loud, just for instance, watching a movie. When it happens I hear the speakers click off on the receiver; i can turn them back on and if i turn the volume down a bit, everything is fine and doesn't cut out any further. It seems to happen when there is more bass being played.

Is this an incompatibility between speaker/receiver, or something simple like speaker wire?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The receiver is shutting itself down for protection. There could be stray wires or some other kind of wiring problem. Possibly an internal wiring problem with the speakers. It might help to explain how everything is connected. We need more information.

urbanscrawl

Auditioning
Real Name
SAM
Thanks for the reply. The speakers are wired as per the Bose wiring instructions: I have 2 double cube speakers, both cubes are connected to the bass module (1 cube per channel), and the bass module is the only thing connected to one of the 2 main speaker channels on the receiver. I've tried connecting the base module to both A and B channels on the receiver, and same behaviour occurs on either of the channels. Please let me know if there are more details required. Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've tried connecting the base module to both A and B channels on the receiver
NEVER do that. EVER!!!! Did I mention that you should NEVER do that? EDIT: now that I read it again, I realize you might be saying you tried them both, but not at the same time.

When you say "the bass module is the only thing connected to one of the 2 main speaker channels on the receiver" what do you mean by "channel"? A "channel" means left or right main channels, not A and B. With surround, you should only use the "A" speaker outputs. Just forget about "B" to keep things simple. So, left and right A should go to the module, then out to the left and right front speakers.

I basically see two most likely situations. The less bad is that you still have multiple speakers outputs connected to single speaker inputs, and once you turn up the volume at all, the receiver shuts down to protect itself.

The worse is that by connecting two outputs to one input you've damaged the receiver, probably beyond the point where it is worth fixing.

I edited my response a little. Anyway, something is causing the receiver to go into protection when you turn up the volume. At this point, what is causing it is just a guess.

I suggest doing a web search or looking at the manual, if you have it, and do a "Factory Reset" on the receiver, if you check all your connections for stray wires and it keeps happening. Unfortunately, receivers are known to do this when they are just fried. You can also just disconnect the receiver from the A/C for 10 minutes, then plug it back in. It's common for weird behavior to be fixed by disconnecting the power for a few minutes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks